EPL: Awoniyi defends decision to leave Liverpool

Forum 5 months ago

EPL: Awoniyi defends decision to leave Liverpool

Taiwo Awoniyi has reflected on his decision to leave Premier League giants, Liverpool.

Awoniyi was on the books of Liverpool for six years but failed to make a competitive appearance for the Reds.

The 26-year-old was sold to Bundesliga club, Union Berlin in 2021 after several loan spells.

The Nigerian striker was bought by Nottingham Forest in 2022 after scoring 20 goals across all competitions for Union Berlin.

Awoniyi said the desire to play regular football made him quit Anfield.

“You look at the time, there was [Mohamed] Salah, [Sadio] Mane, [Roberto] Firmino and others,” the striker told Liverpool official website.

“I knew the chances [to play] were very, very slim. I knew I needed to get to a place where I was playing every week. It was hard [to leave], but it was a decision I had to make.”

Awoniyi also claims he is enjoying life under Steve Cooper at Forest. “The way he goes about things, the way he speaks to players, and the confidence he gives to the players.

“We had a lot of pressure last season, but you could see in his eyes that he always believed, he knew we were going to stay up. That’s what every player wants from their manager. He gives you the belief that you can really get to the peak of your career if you are ready to work for him and go for it.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Residents Flee As Soldiers Leave Niger Community After Deadly Ambush
Forum | 1 day ago

Residents Flee As Soldiers Leave Niger Community After Deadly Ambush

EPL: It’s unacceptable – Ten Hag reacts to Man Utd’s 4-2 win over Sheffield Utd
Forum | 2 days ago

EPL: It’s unacceptable – Ten Hag reacts to Man Utd’s 4-2 win over Sheffield Utd

EPL: Liverpool’s title ambition takes hit with 2-0 defeat to Everton
Forum | 2 days ago

EPL: Liverpool’s title ambition takes hit with 2-0 defeat to Everton