Erik ten Hag backs Rasmus Hojlund to shine on Kobenhavn reunion

Forum 6 months ago

Erik ten Hag backs Rasmus Hojlund to shine on Kobenhavn reunion

Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag is expecting a particularly inspired performance from striker Rasmus Hojlund ahead of his reunion with Kobenhavn on Tuesday.

Hojlund, who was born in Copenhagen, joined his hometown team in 2020 and made his breakthrough into senior football with 32 appearances for the club, leading to moves to Sturm Graz and then Atalanta.

The 20-year-old ultimately joined United for £72m earlier this summer and will get the chance of a speedy reunion with his former employers as Copenhagen head to Old Trafford for Champions League action on Tuesday.

"You know it is a special game for him, he grew up there, you know he will be highly motivated," Ten Hag said of Hojlund ahead of the game. "For me, for the team, and for him he has to send that in the right direction, the right balance."

Hojlund is still waiting for his first Premier League goal for United but has been prolific in the Champions League, netting three in just two outings.

Ten Hag backed Hojlund to continue his European form, adding: "First of all, we have to work our routines, he misses pre-season, the first four games, but I think from the moment he came in, he gave the team a lot.

"We're building the routines and that split moment will give him more time and to make better decisions for more goals, but the goals against Galatasaray were two brilliant goals. As well, also the one in Munich.

"I think he's a player who will always be in scoring positions in our team. I'm sure, I'm confident [he'll score goals] and Marcus Rashford the same."

Finally, Ten Hag stressed that Hojlund's place in the team does not impact Anthony Martial, who was the central striker last season before the Dane's arrival this summer.

"They can play together because Anthony Martial is also available to play from the side," he said.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Singer, Shine TTW Narrates How Lagos Policemen Damaged His Car
Forum | 2 days ago

Singer, Shine TTW Narrates How Lagos Policemen Damaged His Car

EPL: It’s unacceptable – Ten Hag reacts to Man Utd’s 4-2 win over Sheffield Utd
Forum | 3 days ago

EPL: It’s unacceptable – Ten Hag reacts to Man Utd’s 4-2 win over Sheffield Utd

IF Video Shows The Office Reunion Between John Krasinski and Steve Carell
Forum | 3 days ago

IF Video Shows The Office Reunion Between John Krasinski and Steve Carell

EPL: Brilliant signing – Redknapp backs Chelsea star to have good career at Stamford Bridge
Forum | 1 week ago

EPL: Brilliant signing – Redknapp backs Chelsea star to have good career at Stamford Bridge