Xavi hails Lamine Yamal after record-breaking La Liga goal

Forum 6 months ago

Xavi hails Lamine Yamal after record-breaking La Liga goal

Xavi has continued to heap praise on teenage star Lamine Yamal after he became the youngest goalscorer in La Liga history.

Just 87 days after his 16th birthday, Yamal netted the first of Barcelona's two goals in Sunday's 2-2 draw with Granada, becoming La Liga's youngest goalscorer and just the fifth 16-year-old to net in the competition in the process.

Yamal claimed the record from Fabrice Olinga, who was 16 years and 98 days old when he netted for Malaga in the opening game of the 2012/13 campaign.

"I am very happy about that historic goal from Lamine, he was very good today," Xavi remarked after the game.

"They gave me confidence when I was 17 or 18 years old, and when we see a footballer like that we have to put him in. It’s a shame that his goal didn’t give us the win but I think he made a difference."

Yamal himself was delighted to make history but admitted he would have preferred to have seen his team take all three points.

"I am very happy, it is an honour for me to be the youngest scorer in La Liga and for Barca," he said.

"At that moment, I was thinking about coming back more than about the goal and the record, but yes, very happy."

Yamal picked up a knock during the game and had to be substituted, and he was spotted limping as he made his way to join up with the Spanish national team for the international break.

A Barcelona statement read: "Tests have shown that Lamine Yamal has an injury to the iliopsoas of his left leg. He's out and his recovery will determine his return. The player joins the Spanish national team where he will also be evaluated by the medical services of the RFEF."

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Breaking Bad’s Anna Gunn Says People’s Attitude Toward Skyler Has Changed
Forum | 4 days ago

Breaking Bad’s Anna Gunn Says People’s Attitude Toward Skyler Has Changed

Davido Reveals Fate Of Peruzzi, Other DMW Artists As He Launches New Record Label
Forum | 6 days ago

Davido Reveals Fate Of Peruzzi, Other DMW Artists As He Launches New Record Label

FA Cup: ‘You want him in front of goal’ – Lampard hails Chelsea star
Forum | 6 days ago

FA Cup: ‘You want him in front of goal’ – Lampard hails Chelsea star

Finidi backs Enyimba forward Mbaoma to end goal drought
Forum | 4 days ago

Finidi backs Enyimba forward Mbaoma to end goal drought