Bayern Munich make surprising claim about Harry Kane transfer fee

Forum 6 months ago

Bayern Munich make surprising claim about Harry Kane transfer fee

Bayern Munich honorary president Uli Hoeness has claimed the club paid just £82m (€95m) to sign Harry Kane from Tottenham Hotspur.

Kane brought an end to his 19-year association with Spurs when he made the move to the Allianz Arena on the eve of the 2023/24 season.

The striker left Tottenham as their all-time leading scorer, breaking Jimmy Greaves' record which stood for nearly half a century back in February during a 1-0 win against Manchester City. In total, Kane scored 280 goals in 435 appearances for Spurs.

Kane's contract in north London ran until 2024, with Bayern Munich first making their interest in him known in the summer of 2022. Though they were confident he would sign a new deal, Spurs became increasingly concerned by the Bundesliga champions' courting of Kane throughout the season.

Following a year-long pursuit, Kane set an internal deadline for Bayern Munich to agree a transfer with Tottenham - if he was still at Spurs by the time the 2023/24 season kicked off, he would stay put for the year.

Bayern Munich eventually came to an agreement with Tottenham on August 10 and completed the deal two days later, with Kane penning a four-year contract in Bavaria.

90min understands that the fee agreed was an initial £86.4m (€100m) plus add-ons, but Hoeness has insisted the amount is actually lower than has been widely reported.

In an interview with BR24, Hoeness said: "We only spent €95m."

Kane has made a tremendous start to life with Bayern Munich, registering nine goals and five assists in ten games across all competitions so far.

He was denied a first trophy of his career on his debut when Bayern were beaten 3-0 by RB Leipzig in the German Super Cup.

Tottenham, meanwhile, have excelled in Kane's absence. Under the new management of Ange Postecoglou, Spurs head into the October international break top of the Premier League following an unbeaten start to the season.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Transfer: Iheanacho tipped to leave Leicester City this summer
Forum | 3 days ago

Transfer: Iheanacho tipped to leave Leicester City this summer

Transfer: Barcelona to move for Chukwuemeka
Forum | 4 days ago

Transfer: Barcelona to move for Chukwuemeka

Transfer: Club Brugge target summer move for Nigerian striker
Forum | 4 days ago

Transfer: Club Brugge target summer move for Nigerian striker

I Didn’t Make A Penny At My Last Show Because People Were Scared Of Spraying Money — Rapper Speed Darlington Cries Out
Forum | 1 week ago

I Didn’t Make A Penny At My Last Show Because People Were Scared Of Spraying Money — Rapper Speed Darlington Cries Out