Mikel Arteta hails Gabriel Martinelli's 'big ones' in Arsenal's win over Man City

Forum 6 months ago

Mikel Arteta hails Gabriel Martinelli's 'big ones' in Arsenal's win over Man City

Mikel Arteta lauded the impact of Arsenal's Gabriel Martinelli after the Brazilian came off the bench to score the only goal in a 1-0 win over Manchester City on Sunday.

Martinelli had been sidelined with a hamstring injury for each of Arsenal's previous five matches but returned to the squad this weekend without regaining full fitness.

Leandro Trossard had been dealing with his own fitness complaints but started a cagey first half against City at the Emirates. Yet, it became apparent that the Belgian could not continue during the interval, leaving Arteta turning towards Martinelli.

Relaying the sequence of events in the dressing to Sky Sports, Arteta revealed: "The physios weren't having it and [Martinelli] said: 'I am ready to go.' Leo got injured and I looked to him and he was already ready to go."

Arteta hailed Martinelli's bravery, describing him as a "player with big ones" - the manager drew the same crude picture of goalkeeper David Raya, who had a glut of nervy moments when passing out from the back between City's feverish press.

Martinelli was keen to shift the spotlight off himself post-game. "I am not the man," he told Sky Sports. "I think everyone has a part in this victory. I scored the goal but it was the whole team and the staff and everyone. I am happy and the team is too.

"After that moment [my injury], I just tried to give my best to my recovery and try to be ready for the next game. Luckily it was for this game and I helped the team. I am happy with my goal and fitness.

"It gives more confidence [to us]. We know our potential and how tough it is to play against them. Today we beat them and it gives us more confidence to kick on."

Overall, Arteta was simply "so proud" of his entire team. "It was the moment with the right people and the right players," Pep Guardiola's former assistant at City gushed. "We knew we would have to suffer and we did that. You need a big performance and the crowd too. It feels like a big win.

"I think the way we started we conceded the corner and then we gained some control and in the second half we started really good. We were there and really aggressive. The changes helped as well. The quality they produced in the goal was top.

"[City] give you a lot [of problems] and we gave them a lot of issues as well. It is not easy to get out. You need the right timing, the right movement, the right moments. I like the courage.

"You are going to have these [hard] moments against this team. You have to be direct and manage the emotions and make sure you don't get caught against this team."

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Young Man Shoots His Friend Dead For Taking A Bite Out Of His Girlfriend
Forum | 2 days ago

Young Man Shoots His Friend Dead For Taking A Bite Out Of His Girlfriend's Burger

The Invisible Man 2 Update Given by Elisabeth Moss: ‘I Feel Very Good About It’
Forum | 2 days ago

The Invisible Man 2 Update Given by Elisabeth Moss: ‘I Feel Very Good About It’

EPL: It’s unacceptable – Ten Hag reacts to Man Utd’s 4-2 win over Sheffield Utd
Forum | 3 days ago

EPL: It’s unacceptable – Ten Hag reacts to Man Utd’s 4-2 win over Sheffield Utd

EPL: Arsenal, Man City must have bad moments – Klopp on Liverpool’s title chances
Forum | 3 days ago

EPL: Arsenal, Man City must have bad moments – Klopp on Liverpool’s title chances