EPL: I don’t understand – Schmeichel questions Ten Hag over Man Utd midfielder

Forum 6 months ago

EPL: I don’t understand – Schmeichel questions Ten Hag over Man Utd midfielder

Manchester United legend Peter Schmeichel has insisted he cannot understand why midfielder Scott McTominay has been reduced to a bit-part player at the club by manager Erik ten Hag.

Schmeichel said this following McTominay’s match-winning injury-time brace against Brentford on Saturday.

Waploaded recalls that the Scotland international appeared destined to leave his boyhood club Man United in the summer amid interest from West Ham United.

Man United, however, failed to receive a suitable bid and retained the 26-year-old’s services.

McTominay has fallen down Ten Hag’s pecking order this season but proved his worth with two injury-time goals that secured an astonishing comeback win and may well have saved his manager’s job.

“He’s got the ability to do that,” Schmeichel told Premier League productions after McTominay’s heroics in the 2-1 win on Saturday.

“I don’t understand what coaches are doing. Scott McTominay was up for sale all summer and I don’t understand that. He’s a fantastic player; you need utility players. You need players that can play different positions, that can come from the bench and change the course of the game and he’s definitely one of them.

“You bring in players and you sit there with big question marks—why is that player there? His feeling for this club is very strong; he plays with all his heart. He will always defend the colours of this club.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
EPL: Iwobi guns for 250th appearance as Fulham host Crystal Palace
Forum | 20 mins ago

EPL: Iwobi guns for 250th appearance as Fulham host Crystal Palace

EPL: Harry Redknapp gives surprise prediction for Tottenham vs Arsenal clash
Forum | 48 mins ago

EPL: Harry Redknapp gives surprise prediction for Tottenham vs Arsenal clash

EPL: Arteta reveals what Wenger told him about title race
Forum | 51 mins ago

EPL: Arteta reveals what Wenger told him about title race