EPL: Referees apologize to Liverpool for not giving Luis Diaz goal against Tottenham

Forum 6 months ago

EPL: Referees apologize to Liverpool for not giving Luis Diaz goal against Tottenham

The Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL) have apologized to Liverpool, admitting that Luis Diaz’s goal against Tottenham Hotspur should have stood.

In a statement released on Saturday evening, PGMOL said there was “significant human error” in the decision making.

It read: “PGMOL acknowledge a significant human error occurred during the first half of Tottenham Hotspur v Liverpool.

“The goal by Luiz Diaz was disallowed for offside by the on-field team of match officials. This was a clear and obvious factual error and should have resulted in the goal being awarded through VAR intervention, however, the VAR failed to intervene.

“PGMOL will conduct a full review into the circumstances which led to the error. PGMOL will immediately be contacting Liverpool at the conclusion of the fixture to acknowledge the error.”

Diaz broke in behind the Spurs defence before firing past Guglielmo Vicario into the bottom corner.

However the linesman had his flag up for offside. And although VAR intervened, the TV cameras didn’t show the offside lines, with the Colombian seemingly onside.

Heung-min Son went on to put the hosts in front, before Cody Gakpo made it 1-1 for the Reds,

Liverpool were seconds from leaving North London with a point, but Joel Matip inadvertently put into his own goal.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
EPL: If I speak, there will be fire – Salah on clash with Klopp at West Ham
Forum | 1 hour ago

EPL: If I speak, there will be fire – Salah on clash with Klopp at West Ham

‘It was a mistake, I’m sorry’ – Ruben Amorim apologises over failed move to EPL club
Forum | 1 hour ago

‘It was a mistake, I’m sorry’ – Ruben Amorim apologises over failed move to EPL club

EPL: Why Man Utd drew 1-1 with Burnley – Ten Hag
Forum | 1 hour ago

EPL: Why Man Utd drew 1-1 with Burnley – Ten Hag

EPL: Man Utd likely to play in Europa League next season – Ten Hag
Forum | 1 hour ago

EPL: Man Utd likely to play in Europa League next season – Ten Hag