Man Utd 'turned down' Chelsea loanee prior to Barcelona move

Forum 7 months ago

Man Utd 'turned down' Chelsea loanee prior to Barcelona move

Joao Felix's agent held talks with Manchester United about a potential move this summer, according to Atletico Madrid legend Paulo Futre.

Felix fell out of favour at the Estadio Metropolitano last season and spent the second half of the campaign on loan at Chelsea, though 90min reported in January that Arsenal and United were also interested at the time.

Chelsea eventually decided against keeping Felix on a permanent deal and he returned to Atletico over the summer, though made his desire to leave public by admitting it was his dream to join Barcelona.

The Portugal forward would eventually be granted his wish of a move to Barca on deadline day, joining on a season-long loan.

However, in an interview with Cadena Ser, Futre claimed that Felix's agent, Jorge Mendes, informed him that talks were held with various clubs over the summer, including United.

"When Joao said he dreamed of playing for Barca I began to live a nightmare that lasts to this day. I called him [Mendes] and told him that the statements that Joao had made were his doing and he said no," Futre began.

"We argued on the phone and he told me that he had spoken to Manchester United. I verified what he told me because I have friends and it was true. Later he had spoken with Manchester City, I also checked and they didn't want Joao either.

"What happened between Joao and Cholo [Diego Simeone] happens every day in football. It's something normal. What is not normal is that phenomenal coaches knew that Joao was a genius, he entered their game system, but nobody wanted him.

"Neither [Mikel] Arteta, nor [Pep] Guardiola, nor [Jurgen] Klopp, any club. My question is why? The only team that has wanted him has been Aston Villa. Joao said no when there was an agreement between Atleti and Aston Villa at the beginning of July."

Felix has started the season in spectacular form for Barcelona, registering three goals and two assists in four games for his new club.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Young Man Shoots His Friend Dead For Taking A Bite Out Of His Girlfriend
Forum | 2 days ago

Young Man Shoots His Friend Dead For Taking A Bite Out Of His Girlfriend's Burger

The Invisible Man 2 Update Given by Elisabeth Moss: ‘I Feel Very Good About It’
Forum | 2 days ago

The Invisible Man 2 Update Given by Elisabeth Moss: ‘I Feel Very Good About It’

EPL: It’s unacceptable – Ten Hag reacts to Man Utd’s 4-2 win over Sheffield Utd
Forum | 3 days ago

EPL: It’s unacceptable – Ten Hag reacts to Man Utd’s 4-2 win over Sheffield Utd

EPL: Arsenal, Man City must have bad moments – Klopp on Liverpool’s title chances
Forum | 3 days ago

EPL: Arsenal, Man City must have bad moments – Klopp on Liverpool’s title chances