Andre Onana takes blame for Bayern Munich loss with honest admission over Man Utd start

Forum 7 months ago

Andre Onana takes blame for Bayern Munich loss with honest admission over Man Utd start

Manchester United goalkeeper Andre Onana requested an interview after his side's 4-3 loss to Bayern Munich on Wednesday to face up to his costly error during the game.

Leroy Sane opened the scoring for Bayern midway through the first half as his low effort from the edge of the penalty area somehow found its way under Onana, who has now conceded 14 goals in his first six games as United's goalkeeper.

After the game, Onana is understood to have specifically requested a televised interview in which he took responsibility for his error and admitted he has not been good enough so far this season.

He told TNT Sports: "It's difficult to lose this way as we started very good but after my mistake we lost control of the game.

"It's a difficult situation for us, and me, as I let the team down. The team was really good but it was because of me we didn't win this game. I'm happy for the work of the team but we have to move on - that is the life of a goalkeeper. We didn't win today because of me.

"Their first shot on target, I made a mistake, so the team went down because of that mistake. I have to learn, be strong and move on although it's not an easy situation. I'm happy with the comeback of the team, we were fighting until the end.

"I have a lot to prove. My start in Manchester has not been good or how I want. The way I played today was one of my worst games.

"It's difficult as we are a big club who wants to win everything. It was a good opportunity to bounce back after the situation we are facing - it's a tough time, we have to be together and continue to work hard."

Onana later added to CBS Sports: "Mistakes are part of life as a goalkeeper. I have to assume the responsibility, we lost this game because of me. S**t happens in life, but I think that mistake cost us the victory."

United captain Bruno Fernandes was quick to defend his goalkeeper, insisting every player on the team was to blame for the loss.

"Andre's a great goalkeeper," Fernandes said. "He will keep giving us a lot of points, a lot of saves.

"He doesn't have to take blame for anything, we have to take the blame as a team, we're going to go through this moment together because we're strong as a team."

Onana and United are back in action on Saturday with a trip to Burnley and, after facing Crystal Palace the following weekend, will resume their Champions League campaign with a visit from Galatasaray.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Young Man Shoots His Friend Dead For Taking A Bite Out Of His Girlfriend
Forum | 1 day ago

Young Man Shoots His Friend Dead For Taking A Bite Out Of His Girlfriend's Burger

The Invisible Man 2 Update Given by Elisabeth Moss: ‘I Feel Very Good About It’
Forum | 2 days ago

The Invisible Man 2 Update Given by Elisabeth Moss: ‘I Feel Very Good About It’

EPL: It’s unacceptable – Ten Hag reacts to Man Utd’s 4-2 win over Sheffield Utd
Forum | 2 days ago

EPL: It’s unacceptable – Ten Hag reacts to Man Utd’s 4-2 win over Sheffield Utd

EPL: Liverpool’s title ambition takes hit with 2-0 defeat to Everton
Forum | 2 days ago

EPL: Liverpool’s title ambition takes hit with 2-0 defeat to Everton