EPL: I like him – Paul Merson begs fans to give struggling Chelsea forward, Jackson

Forum 7 months ago

EPL: I like him – Paul Merson begs fans to give struggling Chelsea forward, Jackson

Arsenal legend, Paul Merson has urged Chelsea fans to give struggling forward, Nicolas Jackson time to settle in at the club.

Merson said he loves Jackson, adding that the 22-year-old makes good runs on the pitch of play.

Chelsea signed Jackson over the summer transfer window from Villarreal in a deal worth £32million.

But the Senegalese international has not really impressed as he has scored just once across five Premier League matches and has missed a series of key chances.

His wastefulness in front of goals has attracted both criticism from Chelsea supporters while he has also been mocked by rival fans.

However, Merson thinks the early criticism of the player is unfair as he publicly defended him.

“I like Nicolas Jackson, actually,” Merson told Sky Sports. “He makes good runs but there was one shot that summed it up in the second half [against Bournemouth] where he hit the stand, which was fortunate as that is how wide it was.

“There’s a lot of pressure for a young lad who was playing in Spain and now is spearheading a team who is expected to win football matches because of the money they spent.

“I don’t think it is fair on him, so I’d definitely give him more time. Though Pochettino would take him out of the firing line if he could.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
EPL: Nottingham Forest get Awoniyi’s fitness boost ahead of Sheffield United clash
Forum | 18 hours ago

EPL: Nottingham Forest get Awoniyi’s fitness boost ahead of Sheffield United clash

EPL: ‘Enough is enough’ – Pochettino uncertain about his future at Chelsea despite win over Tottenham
Forum | 18 hours ago

EPL: ‘Enough is enough’ – Pochettino uncertain about his future at Chelsea despite win over Tottenham

EPL: Piers Morgan slams Ten Hag for inability to handle Ronaldo, Sancho
Forum | 18 hours ago

EPL: Piers Morgan slams Ten Hag for inability to handle Ronaldo, Sancho

EPL: They’re quality players – Gallas tells Chelsea to sign Man Utd duo
Forum | 18 hours ago

EPL: They’re quality players – Gallas tells Chelsea to sign Man Utd duo