Jurgen Klopp reveals why he's staying at Liverpool despite Germany interest

Forum 7 months ago

Jurgen Klopp reveals why he's staying at Liverpool despite Germany interest

Jurgen Klopp has confirmed his "loyalty" to Liverpool after being heavily linked with the vacant Germany job.

Klopp had been considered a top candidate for the Germany job after Hansi Flick became the first German national term manager to ever be sacked after a disastrous 4-1 friendly defeat to Japan.

90min reported that the DFB were even willing to offer the opportunity to see out the 2023/24 season with Liverpool before taking the job on a full-time basis just before Euro 2024.

Now however, Julian Nagelsmann has jumped to the front of the queue of candidates for the job and is set to be officially appointed in the coming days.

Speaking to RTL about the rumours around his future at Liverpool, Klopp confirmed his loyalty to the club he signed a new contract at the Reds back in April 2022.

"We're building Liverpool 2.0 here, we want to attack again and not just look at how much longer can we go on. I have a loyalty to Liverpool," he said.

"My heart is here in Liverpool. You can't just cut out the eight years. I signed a contract here and, as far as I can remember, I wasn't drugged or tied up and had to sign with my mouth. That was a free decision. And that's why it doesn't fit."

Klopp was also asked to give his thoughts on the expected appointment of Nagelsmann as the new Germany national team manager, hailing the 36-year-old as a "great coach".

"I think Julian is a great solution because he is a great coach. I would be very happy about it - if it happens that way," he added.

"Age? It doesn't matter! He had already proven at 28 that he is a fantastic coach. He has eight years of experience. Others have that at 45 or 50 – at the highest level. That is not a criteria at all."

Klopp is the current longest serving manager in the Premier League having first taken charge of the Reds in 2015. In his time at Anfield, the German manager has won the Premier League, Champions League, FA Cup and FIFA Club World Cup.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
EPL: If I speak, there will be fire – Salah on clash with Klopp at West Ham
Forum | 10 hours ago

EPL: If I speak, there will be fire – Salah on clash with Klopp at West Ham

EPL: Carragher reveals ‘only reason’ Salah clashed with Klopp against West Ham
Forum | 10 hours ago

EPL: Carragher reveals ‘only reason’ Salah clashed with Klopp against West Ham

EPL: Arteta reveals what Wenger told him about title race
Forum | 18 hours ago

EPL: Arteta reveals what Wenger told him about title race