Harry Maguire explains why West Ham transfer collapsed

Forum 7 months ago

Harry Maguire explains why West Ham transfer collapsed

Manchester United centre-back Harry Maguire has confessed that a proposed transfer to West Ham United this summer collapsed due to a failure to find "an agreement" with the Red Devils,

West Ham agreed a £30m fee with United back in August to sign Maguire, however 90min reported at the time that a deal ultimately fell through due to the player himself being unable to reach an agreement over a severance package.

Sources confirmed that the defender wanted a pay-off reflective of the drop in wages he would have to take to make the move to London Stadium happen.

Speaking to the press for the first time about the failed move, Maguire confirmed talks with United failed to achieve the required result.

"How can I put this? We just didn’t come to an agreement," he said of his talks with United.

"They were happy for me to stay and I was happy to fight for my place. I want to do that and every time I train or play I will give everything."

West Ham coach Kevin Nolan has also recently discussed Maguire's failed move to the club, telling talkSPORT: "I think it was very close, I was a bit upset that we didn't make it [happen]. I think it was just in the end, the money didn't get sorted from what I can gather which is obviously upsetting from our behalf because we wanted to [sign him].

"Probably upsetting from Harry's behalf and probably United's behalf as well."

So far this season, Maguire is yet to start a single game for United, with his sole appearance being a 23-minute cameo in a 3-1 defeat at the hands of Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium prior to the international break.

Maguire, however, is hopeful that his gametime will increase in the coming weeks when the Red Devils begin their Champions League and domestic cup campaigns.

"The first four weeks were hard because it was one game a week and the manager didn’t select me but we have lots of games coming up now and I am sure I will play lots of games," he insisted.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Sam Raimi: Tobey Maguire Spider-Man 4 Would Focus on ‘Personal Growth’
Forum | 1 day ago

Sam Raimi: Tobey Maguire Spider-Man 4 Would Focus on ‘Personal Growth’

Transfer: Iheanacho tipped to leave Leicester City this summer
Forum | 2 days ago

Transfer: Iheanacho tipped to leave Leicester City this summer

Transfer: Barcelona to move for Chukwuemeka
Forum | 4 days ago

Transfer: Barcelona to move for Chukwuemeka