Barcelona preparing to fight for Erling Haaland transfer

Forum 7 months ago

Barcelona preparing to fight for Erling Haaland transfer

Barcelona are manoeuvring themselves to be a contender in the battle for Manchester City superstar Erling Haaland, 90min understands.

Real Madrid have long been regarded as Haaland's most likely suitor, but now 90min sources believe that Barca are preparing to make their own move for the prolific Norwegian striker.

Barca currently have Robert Lewandowski leading their line in the number nine shirt. But, long-term, Haaland is seen as a viable option to replace the veteran Pole, who recently turned 35.

Haaland has been outstanding for Manchester City since arriving from Borussia Dortmund last summer. His debut season saw him help the club to the treble as they claimed a first ever Champions League title, while he won the Premier League Golden Boot and European Golden Shoe. Overall, the 23-year-old scored 52 goals in all competitions, with his 36 in the league a Premier League record.

Despite Haaland only being just over year into his Premier League career, City are already working on a new contract to further reward their striker.

Haaland signed a five-year deal when he arrived in Manchester, but it included numerous release clauses within it. One of those was nullified when Pep Guardiola signed his contract extension, meaning no clause in 2024, which would have allowed him to leave next year for £172m (€200m).

However, 90min has been told that clauses are due to activate from 2025. They do not specify a certain club, but it does mean the player could leave for a set price, believed to be £150m (€175m). Year-on-year, that number will also fall.

The fact Haaland could leave for a fixed price in 2025 is one reason why Barcelona are starting to position themselves as a potential landing spot. The club has been battling hard in recent times to get finances on a sure footing, but having the ability to plan two years ahead is an advantage.

City are working hard to convince Haaland and his agents to remove the release clauses on the horizon and will make him the Premier League's highest paid player in return - a basic salary in excess of £500,000 per week. But, as it stands, there is little motivation to do so from Haaland's side.

Haaland's agent Rafaela Pimenta, who took over the stable from the late Mino Raiola upon his passing, explained the situation to AS last year and why it is unlikely to change any time soon.

"When a player goes to a club, I do all I can to create a situation where the key is in their hands," Pimenta said in 2022. "If tomorrow, you don’t want to be there anymore because you don't like it, or if they don't pay you well, or if your wife wants to live in Paris, well, you go, no? I don't like it when the player has no freedom to decide. I have done all the contracts in this agency in 25 years. All of them. There wasn't a single time when a player said 'I want to go' and they could not do it."

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Transfer: Wolves table €12m bid for Osayi-Samuel
Forum | 4 hours ago

Transfer: Wolves table €12m bid for Osayi-Samuel

Transfer: Iheanacho tipped to leave Leicester City this summer
Forum | 2 days ago

Transfer: Iheanacho tipped to leave Leicester City this summer

Transfer: Barcelona to move for Chukwuemeka
Forum | 3 days ago

Transfer: Barcelona to move for Chukwuemeka