Abiodun defends demolition, Daniel’s wife gets court order

Forum 7 months ago

Abiodun defends demolition, Daniel’s wife gets court order

An Ogun State High Court sitting in Ijebu-Ode, on Monday, granted an order asking the Ogun State government to maintain the status quo and stay off the property belonging to the wife of the Senator representing Ogun East, Yeye Olufunke Daniel.

Agents of the state government had, in the early hours of Sunday, destroyed some parts of the five-storey building located along Folagbade road in Ijebu Ode.

Defending its actions, the state government, on Sunday, in a statement signed by the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Physical Planning and Urban Development, Olayiwola Abiodun, said the structure violated the building codes of the state with numerous defects.

Meanwhile, Abiodun, on Monday, again warned that the state government will not tolerate lawlessness and the violation of the state’s building codes.

The governor also denied any political motives in the partial demolition of DATKEM Plaza, Ijebu-Ode.

Abiodun formally reacted to the demolition and the attendant accusation after inspecting the eight-kilometre Mowe-Ofada Road in the Obafemi Owode Local Government Area of the state.

He said, “I’m sure that everyone would testify to the fact that since I assumed office in 2019, I have ensured equity, and fairness and upheld the rule of law. I have not in any way attempted to be vindictive or in any form or manner appear like someone who is trying to witch-hunt anyone.

“Having said that, these are some of the insinuations I have read on social media and nothing could be farther from the truth. You all have seen the position of the Ministry of Physical Planning, which is the ministry that is entrusted with ensuring that people adhere to our different building codes. Because if we don’t respect building codes, if we don’t abide by building laws, it means that we are nothing but a chaotic society.”

“Only a few weeks ago, the new minister of the FCT said any person who builds in FCT without approval no matter how highly placed they are, be it a minister or anybody, the building will come down. And recall sometime last year, when a building collapsed on Gerald in Lagos, a building that belonged to someone that I know personally, I held a press conference and said we would not allow for this to happen in Ogun State. You build without approval, you build beyond your approval, and if you don’t build in line with our regulations, that building will come down.”

However, the court, on Monday, asked the government to stay off the property pending the determination of the substantiative matter filed before it.

The matter with Suit No: HCJ212/2023 was filed by DAKTEMS Enterprises Limited as plaintiff and joined the Governor of Ogun State, Attorney General of Ogun State, Ogun State Planning & Development Permit Authority and Urban Development as well as Ogun State Commissioner for Physical Planning, as defendants.

It prayed the court for “an ex parte order restraining the defendants/respondents and their agents, allies, proxies, assigns, cronies, servants and any other person(s), however described, either claiming through them or acting on their behalf, in whatsoever manner, upon their authority/instruction, from demolishing the property known, being or lying at No. 62, ljebu Ode/lbadan Road, ljebu Ode, Iiebu Ode Local Government Area, Ogun State,” pending the hearing and determination of the Motion on Notice herein filed.

“An order of the court mandating and/or otherwise directing parties to maintain status quo, i.e. the position of things, as it were, as of the time of filing, hearing and determination of this application.”

Giving his ruling, Justice N. O. Durojaiye directed that all parties in the case maintain the status quo on the property as of today September 11, 2023.

“The applicant shall file an affidavit of status quo, showing the state of the disputed property as of today within 72 hours from today.

“The originating processes and all other processes shall be served on the respondents within 24 hours from today.

“The motion for Interlocutory Injunction is adjourned for hearing on September 27, 2023.”

Counsel for Yeye Olufunke Daniel, Mr Adeyinka Kotoye, had in a statement on Sunday accused the Ogun State government of ignoring the relevant court papers served on them on September 7, 2023, to go ahead with the vandalisation and demolition of the complex and said to be scheduled for commissioning by month end, vowing that his client will use the instrument of the law to seek justice and challenge what it termed the executive recklessness of Abiodun.

The statement said, “We want to believe that the Ogun State Governor, Prince Dapo Abiodun, was not informed of this acts of illegality but if he was informed and decided to use the instrument of the state against our clients, it is nothing but executive recklessness, but we shall continue to fight for justice.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Oba Elegushi Tells His Second Wife As They Celebrate 5th Wedding Anniversary
Forum | 27 mins ago

Oba Elegushi Tells His Second Wife As They Celebrate 5th Wedding Anniversary

Mohbad’s Wife Wunmi Denies Conducting DNA Tests On Son Amid Paternity Controversy
Forum | 22 hours ago

Mohbad’s Wife Wunmi Denies Conducting DNA Tests On Son Amid Paternity Controversy

Pitch Perfect 4 Gets Promising Update From Rebel Wilson
Forum | 1 day ago

Pitch Perfect 4 Gets Promising Update From Rebel Wilson

Robert Downey Jr. Defends Thor Against Chris Hemsworth’s Critiques
Forum | 1 day ago

Robert Downey Jr. Defends Thor Against Chris Hemsworth’s Critiques