Luis Rubiales confirms he's resigned from Spanish FA president role

Forum 7 months ago

Luis Rubiales confirms he's resigned from Spanish FA president role

Luis Rubiales has confirmed that he has resigned as Spanish FA president after non-consensually kissing Jenni Hermoso during the 2023 Women's World Cup.

Rubiales kissed Hermoso on the lips during the medal ceremony honouring Spain's Women's World Cup final win over England, with the player immediately stating after the game that she "didn't like it". Since the RFEF president had tried to keep hold of his position and had long refused to resign despite huge pressure to do so.

Hermoso even confirmed that Rubiales and the RFEF had asked her to make a statement with her teammates in order to alleviate pressure on the president, and that the RFEF has attempted to coerce her friends and family to force Hermoso into making a statement backing Rubiales.

The World Cup winner filed a legal complaint against Rubiales on Tuesday, and he was also recently suspended by FIFA and called out by Spain's men's national team for the inexplicable non-consensual kiss he gave Hermoso.

Now, Rubiales has finally confirmed his resignation from the RFEF, writing in a statement: “After the suspension from FIFA, plus all the other proceedings opened against me, it’s evident that I cannot go back to my position.

"Insisting on waiting and holding on will not contribute anything positive, not to the federation nor to Spanish football.

“I am making this decision after assuring my exit would contribute to the stability that will allow Europe and Africa to stay unite in the dream of 2030, that will allow to bring the biggest event in the world to our country.

“I have faith in the truth and I am going to do everything in my power so it prevails. The people who love me have suffered the effects of an excessive persecution, as well as many lies, but it is true that I’m the street, more everyday, the truth is being shown.”

In an interview with Piers Morgan filmed on Sunday evening, Rubiales confirmed that he made the decision to resign after talking with his family, revealing:

"[Talking with] my father, my daughters, and I spoke with them. I also spoke with some friends who are close to me. They said 'Luis you have to focus on your dignity, to continue your life, because otherwise you are probably going to damage people that you love, the sport you love and the bid [2030 World Cup bid] that you built'.

"This was not just a question about me. This can also affect important third parties. In that situation, [resigning] is the intelligent thing to do."

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Police Confirms Killing Of Corps Member At Ogbomoso Nightclub, Detains Officers Involved
Forum | 1 day ago

Police Confirms Killing Of Corps Member At Ogbomoso Nightclub, Detains Officers Involved

Davido Reveals Huge Amount He Made From His Sold Out Concert at Madison Square Concert
Forum | 1 day ago

Davido Reveals Huge Amount He Made From His Sold Out Concert at Madison Square Concert

It
Forum | 1 day ago

It's Difficult To Say RIP - Zubby Michael Posts Junior Pope On Instagram After He Was Dragged For Not Mourning

rri Pikin Celebrates RMD As He Visits Her Family
Forum | 1 day ago

rri Pikin Celebrates RMD As He Visits Her Family