Virgil van Dijk releases statement after being handed further ban by FA

Forum 7 months ago

Virgil van Dijk releases statement after being handed further ban by FA

Liverpool captain Virgil van Dijk has publicly responded to the FA's decision to further punish him for his red card against Newcastle United and subsequent charge of improper conduct.

The defender was sent off for fouling Alexander Isak as he was running through on goal. Van Dijk then labelled referee John Brooks' decision a 'f***ing joke'.

As a result of his dismissal, Van Dijk sat out Liverpool's 3-0 win against Aston Villa owing to the automatic one-match suspension.

On Friday, the FA tacked a further game onto this ban after finding Van Dijk guilty of improper conduct, while he was handed a fine of £100,000.

A statement from the FA read: "The defender admitted that he acted in an improper manner and used abusive and insulting words towards a match official after being sent off in the 29th minute, and the sanctions were subsequently imposed by an independent regulatory commission. Full written reasons for this case will be published in due course."

Taking to Instagram, Van Dijk has now responded to the FA's decision, insisting the punishment was fair and he was in the wrong.

"Following the announcement today I'd just like to make clear I totally accept the panel's decision. It was the first red card of my Liverpool career and I let my frustrations get the better of me in an intense and heated moment," Van Dijk wrote.

"I apologised immediately after the game to the match officials and take full responsibility. Time to move forward now. I will continue supporting the team in every way I can."

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Vanderpump Rules Season 12 Delayed by Bravo, Report Suggests
Forum | 1 hour ago

Vanderpump Rules Season 12 Delayed by Bravo, Report Suggests

Whitemoney Releases Jaw Dropping Song
Forum | 1 day ago

Whitemoney Releases Jaw Dropping Song

Vanessa Hudgens Choreographed Dancing Scene in Downtown Owl
Forum | 2 days ago

Vanessa Hudgens Choreographed Dancing Scene in Downtown Owl