Newcastle accelerate Bruno Guimaraes contract talks following Chelsea & Man City enquiries

Forum 7 months ago

Newcastle accelerate Bruno Guimaraes contract talks following Chelsea & Man City enquiries

Newcastle United are continuing contract talks with Bruno Guimaraes after knocking back approaches from several of Europe's biggest clubs regarding a transfer this year, sources have confirmed to 90min.

Guimaraes has cemented his place as one of the Premier League's leading midfielders since his January 2022 move to Tyneside from Lyon, and he played a starring role as Newcastle qualified for the Champions League at the end of last season.

Quick to recognise his progress, 90min understands that Newcastle first attempted to discuss terms over a new long-term deal with Guimaraes late in 2022, but they could not come to an agreement at the time.

During the January 2023 transfer window, Real Madrid reached out to Newcastle to discuss Guimaraes' availability, while Chelsea and Manchester City made similar enquiries this summer. However, the Magpies have never shown any sign of wanting to sell the Brazil international and he didn't come close to an exit.

Sources have now confirmed that Newcastle and Guimaraes' representatives have overcome their previous impasse and the club are hopeful he will put pen to paper on a new contract that will run until 2028 in the near future. His current deal is up in 2026.

Guimaraes has endeared himself as a fan-favourite at Newcastle and he told The Players' Tribune ahead of the 2023 Carabao Cup final that he wants to become a legend at the club.

"I hope to be a legend here. I know that this club can be one of the giants. It starts this weekend," he said at the time.

"It's funny, but when I had the opportunity to move to Newcastle last year, I remember a lot of people telling me, 'You're crazy. This could be a disaster for you. They're going to get relegated. You'll never make the World Cup squad if you move there'.

"At the time, Newcastle were third to last in the table. Everyone knew we were in trouble. But any time someone asked me what my dream was, from the time I was 15, I always said it was to play in the Premier League one day.

"So I chose to come to Newcastle. But I have to be honest and say that never in a million years did I expect this experience. No, I would be lying to you if I said I would love it this much, and for the fans to have embraced me and my family like this."

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Man Cuts Off Friends Because They Did Not Check On Him When He Had Surgery
Forum | 2 days ago

Man Cuts Off Friends Because They Did Not Check On Him When He Had Surgery

EPL: Why I snubbed Man City for Arsenal – Declan Rice
Forum | 2 days ago

EPL: Why I snubbed Man City for Arsenal – Declan Rice

EPL: Alan Pardew advises Man Utd on manager to appoint as Ten Hag’s replacement
Forum | 2 days ago

EPL: Alan Pardew advises Man Utd on manager to appoint as Ten Hag’s replacement