Liverpool hold firm over Mohamed Salah as Saudi transfer window closes

Forum 7 months ago

Liverpool hold firm over Mohamed Salah as Saudi transfer window closes

Liverpool owners Fenway Sports Group (FSG) maintained the club's stance of not wanting to sell Mohamed Salah this summer as the Saudi Pro League transfer window closed on Thursday.

Al Ittihad had a verbal offer of around £150m rejected late in August and Liverpool insisted all along that they did not want to lose Salah.

90min understands that Salah was keen on making the move to the Pro League - who see the Egyptian and Juventus midfielder Paul Pogba as their top two targets moving forward - but a deal could not be agreed.

Al Ittihad and the Pro League continued talks through the start of September and they maintained some hope that a deal could be struck, making it clear they would happily break the global transfer record - Neymar's £200m move to Paris Saint-Germain in 2017 - if Liverpool decided to listen to offers.

90min has been told by sources within Anfield that some of the club's hierarchy were willing to entertain such a huge bid and felt that £200m for 31-year-old Salah was a good deal, but head coach Jurgen Klopp was not one of those voices as he insisted the Egyptian was going to stay throughout the process.

"I've never had, and I don't have now, doubts about his future, his commitment to this club," Klopp said earlier this month.

"Believe me, you can't imagine how much fuss the whole world makes and how calm we are with it. He's our player, he wants to play here and that's it."

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
EPL: If I speak, there will be fire – Salah on clash with Klopp at West Ham
Forum | 16 hours ago

EPL: If I speak, there will be fire – Salah on clash with Klopp at West Ham

EPL: Carragher reveals ‘only reason’ Salah clashed with Klopp against West Ham
Forum | 16 hours ago

EPL: Carragher reveals ‘only reason’ Salah clashed with Klopp against West Ham

EPL: ‘I don’t write it off’ – Klopp on Liverpool winning title
Forum | 1 day ago

EPL: ‘I don’t write it off’ – Klopp on Liverpool winning title