Luka Modric admits it feels 'strange' to be Real Madrid substitute

Forum 7 months ago

Luka Modric admits it feels 'strange' to be Real Madrid substitute

Real Madrid midfielder Luka Modric has admitted he has found it "strange" watching his side from the bench in recent years.

Manager Carlo Ancelotti made a point of trying to protect Modric's fitness last season, starting him in just 19 La Liga games to keep him fresh for the Champions League run, but the Croatia international is now facing a further drop in his minutes.

After four games this season, Modric has started just once with only 133 minutes of action to his name thus far.

"Nobody is happy without playing and after my whole career it definitely feels strange," he told Sportske Novosti. "Anyway, the coach made that decision and I won't quit because of that. Quite the opposite, actually."

Asked whether his role in the team was discussed when he signed his one-year contract extension in June, Modric admitted all he sought was a fair shot at minutes.

"They wanted me to stay and my wish was the same." the midfielder explained. "My only requirement was to be treated as a competitive player and that I wasn't staying purely based on my past achievements. They told me that my status wouldn’t change and that’s why I signed."

While he stopped short of admitting any frustration towards his role, Modric conceded he may be forced to make a tough decision about his future next summer if things do not change.

"I’m aware that the competition in the midfield is fierce, that these young players are elite and that’s why they’re Real Madrid players," he said. "Us veterans have to help them develop and I will work hard to be among the key players this season.

"We’ll see what happens, if I’m not a relevant player in the near future I will think about my next moves, I received other offers but my goal was always to stay in Real Madrid."

Modric also confirmed he turned down the chance to move to Saudi Arabia this summer, insisting he still feels "fulfilled" in Madrid.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
LaLiga: Ancelotti opens up on future of Real Madrid’s wonderkid, Arda Guler
Forum | 8 hours ago

LaLiga: Ancelotti opens up on future of Real Madrid’s wonderkid, Arda Guler

Tom Holland Confirms Spider-Man 4 but Admits It’s Tough To Follow No Way Home
Forum | 5 days ago

Tom Holland Confirms Spider-Man 4 but Admits It’s Tough To Follow No Way Home

Chris Brown Admits Quavo’s Ex, Saweetie Cheated On Rapper With Him
Forum | 6 days ago

Chris Brown Admits Quavo’s Ex, Saweetie Cheated On Rapper With Him