Kai Havertz opens up on 'bumpy' start to life at Arsenal

Forum 7 months ago

Kai Havertz opens up on 'bumpy' start to life at Arsenal

New Arsenal signing Kai Havertz has insisted he is "relaxed" about his mixed start to life at the Emirates Stadium.

A £65m signing from Chelsea during the summer, Havertz has been deployed in an unfamiliar midfield role under Mikel Arteta, who is yet to see any notable results from his bold tactical experiment.

Having started all five matches so far, Havertz is yet to record either a goal or an assist and fans have been growing concerned about his overall impact on the team.

Now away with the German national team, Havertz backed himself to find his feet at Arsenal soon enough.

"I think so far in my career I had phases here and there where things were a little bumpy - and of course I know that [the media] after four matchdays will just point out the negatives, and a lot of bad stuff will be written," he explained.

"It's not the first time I've come to a new club and so I know that it can take a bit longer and so I am relaxed about it."

The switch over to international football will not aid Havertz's attempts to figure out the midfield position as he is usually deployed in an attacking role under Hansi Flick, often as a winger but usually as a central striker.

"I've said often enough that the striker position isn't a bad thing for me," Havertz added. "I played as the nine at Chelsea for what felt like a year and a half and was very successful.

"I try to play the position in the best possible way and be successful."

Germany, who are under immense pressure after a humiliating World Cup campaign, have won just one of their five games this calendar year and face an uphill battle to address that form as they prepare to take on Japan and France this month.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
EPL: Lehmann identifies what’ll cost Arsenal title
Forum | 8 hours ago

EPL: Lehmann identifies what’ll cost Arsenal title

EPL: Why I snubbed Man City for Arsenal – Declan Rice
Forum | 10 hours ago

EPL: Why I snubbed Man City for Arsenal – Declan Rice

EPL: We prefer Arsenal lose, they won’t drop points – Guardiola
Forum | 1 day ago

EPL: We prefer Arsenal lose, they won’t drop points – Guardiola