UNILAG: Why we are protesting same day with PEPT verdict – Students

Forum 7 months ago

UNILAG: Why we are protesting same day with PEPT verdict – Students

Students of the University of Lagos protesting the hike in their school fees said registering their grievances is unconnected to the ongoing Presidential Election Petitions Tribunal judgment in Abuja.

They revealed that the protest date had long been picked before the Tribunal announced the date for the verdict.

A spokesman for the protesting students, Miracle Yemo, while speaking with our correspondent said, “We fixed the date long before now. It is just a coincidence that our protest fell on the same day as the PEPT verdict.”

The students are asking amongst other things, the immediate reversal of the school fee, which they said was increased by “six hundred per cent.”

They are also accusing the management of the university of being insensitive to the plight of the students, who they said are mostly indigents before hiking the fee.

The students also frowned at the attack on the students by the police, noting that they fired tear gas at them.

Speaking on the arrest of their colleagues, Femi Adeyeye, Philip Olatinwo and Temitope Giwa, Yemo demanded their immediate release saying, “They were on a peaceful course.

“ They should be released. We are harmless but they threw tear gas at us. It is a non-violent protest, so we demand the release of our colleagues.”

The UNILAG’s Dean of Students Affairs, Professor Musa Obalola, in his response said the university will come up with an official communication later.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
I Was Sent Out Of My Husband’s House Day He Died – Nollywood Actor Ajigijaga’s Wife
Forum | 6 days ago

I Was Sent Out Of My Husband’s House Day He Died – Nollywood Actor Ajigijaga’s Wife

Happy Death Day 3 Update Given by Jessica Rothe
Forum | 6 days ago

Happy Death Day 3 Update Given by Jessica Rothe

TASU notice to final year students on issuance of final year clearance, 2022/2023
Forum | 1 week ago

TASU notice to final year students on issuance of final year clearance, 2022/2023

FCE Zaria notice to NCE I students on commencement of exams, 2023/2024
Forum | 1 week ago

FCE Zaria notice to NCE I students on commencement of exams, 2023/2024