Why Netherlands staff are unhappy with Liverpool signing Ryan Gravenberch

Forum 7 months ago

Why Netherlands staff are unhappy with Liverpool signing Ryan Gravenberch

Liverpool midfielder Ryan Gravenberch has incurred the wrath of Netherlands national team boss Ronald Koeman and support staff for his decision to decline a call-up this month.

Gravenberch completed his £34m transfer from Bayern Munich to Liverpool on the final day of the summer transfer window. He was not included in the Dutch squad for Euro 2024 qualifiers against Greece and the Republic of Ireland this month, but that was of his own choosing.

Instead of linking up with his national team and adding to the 11 senior caps he already has, the 21-year-old will use the time to settle into his new surroundings at club level. That may seem like a fair plan, with Liverpool not playing again until 16 September, but it hasn’t impressed Koeman and co.

"We're not happy about that. Nigel de Jong has been in touch with him," Koeman said.

New Netherlands Under-21 coach Michael Reiziger also weighed in with his opinion.

"I don't think it's a good decision, I told him that. I really don't think it's good,” the former Ajax and Barcelona defender said, via Voetbal International.

"For a national team, for your country, you have to play with your heart. Not with your head. So you really have to want to be there. That is just important to me. He has made his decision to stay in Liverpool to acclimatise. I know Ryan, he is a good and likeable boy, but he made the wrong choice.

"If you can play for a national team, that is an honour. That should make you proud. There are no concessions involved. That goes for everyone, not just Ryan."

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
EPL: ‘I don’t write it off’ – Klopp on Liverpool winning title
Forum | 11 hours ago

EPL: ‘I don’t write it off’ – Klopp on Liverpool winning title

EPL: Liverpool to replace Klopp with ‘most expensive Dutch manager’
Forum | 11 hours ago

EPL: Liverpool to replace Klopp with ‘most expensive Dutch manager’

EPL: Why Liverpool lost 2-0 to Everton – Klopp
Forum | 2 days ago

EPL: Why Liverpool lost 2-0 to Everton – Klopp