Antony dropped by Brazil amid domestic assault allegations

Forum 7 months ago

Antony dropped by Brazil amid domestic assault allegations

Manchester United winger Antony has been dropped from the Brazil squad for this month's 2026 World Cup qualifiers against Bolivia and Peru following allegations of assault made against him by former girlfriend Gabriela Cavallin. Antony has denied the claims.

Cavallin made the allegations in an interview with Brazilian publication UOL. Antony is alleged to have headbutted the DJ and social media influencer in a Manchester hotel room in January, leaving her with a cut to the head that required medical attention.

On another occasion, an alleged punch to the chest caused damage to a breast implant and required corrective surgery in Brazil to fix, while the player is also accused of throwing a glass at Cavallin at his Cheshire home that left her with a deep cut to the hand as she attempted to defend herself. She also accuses him of repeatedly sending abusive messages. Another alleged attack in Brazil in the summer of 2022 came while Cavallin was pregnant - she later miscarried at 16 weeks.

Police in both Sao Paulo and Manchester are investigating the claims.

A statement from the Brazilian football federation (CBF) reads: "Due to the facts that became public this Monday involving Manchester United player Antony, and which need to be investigated, and in order to safeguard the alleged victim, the player, the Brazilian team and the CBF, the organisation informs that the athlete has been withdrawn from the Brazilian team."

Arsenal's Gabriel Jesus has been called into the Brazil squad as a replacement.

Antony said he felt compelled to speak publicly about what he called "false accusations".

In his own statement posted on social media, the 23-year-old said: "Out of respect for my fans, friends and family, I feel obliged to speak out publicly about the false accusations I have been the victim of. From the beginning I have treated this matter with seriousness and respect, providing the necessary clarifications before the police authority. The police investigation is under judicial secrecy, and therefore I cannot make its contents public.

"However, I can calmly state that the accusations are false and that the evidence already produced and the other evidence that will be produced demonstrate that I am innocent of the accusations made. My relationship with Gabriela was tumultuous, with verbal insults from both sides, but I never committed any physical aggression. At each moment, whether in testimony or in an interview, she presents a different version of the accusations.

"Therefore, I come to vehemently deny the accusations made and inform you that I remain at the entire disposal of the Brazilian authorities to clarify whatever is necessary. I trust that the ongoing police investigations will demonstrate the truth about my innocence."

Manchester United have not commented on the allegations. It comes after Mason Greenwood was loaned to Getafe at the conclusion of an internal investigation into his arrest and subsequent charges of attempted rape, assault occasioning actual bodily harm, and controlling and coercive behaviour. The charges were eventually dropped by prosecutors following the withdrawal of key witnesses, new evidence and no longer having a realistic prospect of conviction. He was not cleared in a court of law.

Manchester United have not commented on the allegations. It comes after Mason Greenwood was loaned to Getafe at the conclusion of an internal investigation into his arrest and subsequent charges of attempted rape, assault occasioning actual bodily harm, and controlling and coercive behaviour. The charges were eventually dropped by prosecutors following the withdrawal of key witnesses, new evidence and no longer having a realistic prospect of conviction. He was not cleared in a court of law.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Pray For Khaid - Sydney Talker Urges Fans Amid Hospitalization
Forum | 1 week ago

Pray For Khaid - Sydney Talker Urges Fans Amid Hospitalization

Davido Throws Support Behind Cubana Chief Priest Amid Alleged Naira Abuse
Forum | 1 week ago

Davido Throws Support Behind Cubana Chief Priest Amid Alleged Naira Abuse

Davido, Shallipopi Caught On Video Spraying Naira Notes Amid EFCC Crackdown
Forum | 1 week ago

Davido, Shallipopi Caught On Video Spraying Naira Notes Amid EFCC Crackdown

Nkechi Blessing, Yhemo Lee React to Justin Deans Allegations Against Wife, Drags Korra Obidi
Forum | 1 week ago

Nkechi Blessing, Yhemo Lee React to Justin Deans Allegations Against Wife, Drags Korra Obidi