Nigerians Fume As EFCC Hires Social Media Influencer, Adeherself, Arraigned For Fraud To Sensitize Corps Members On Cybercrime

Forum 7 months ago

Nigerians Fume As EFCC Hires Social Media Influencer, Adeherself, Arraigned For Fraud To Sensitize Corps Members On Cybercrime

Nigerians have stormed social media platforms to drag the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, (EFCC) for engaging the services of a social media influencer, Adeherself, born Adedamola Adewale, who’s standing trial for a N7.9 million fraud case, to sensitize serving corps members on the dangers of cybercrime.

Recall that Adeherself was accused of being a ‘picker’ in a cyber fraud after she was first arrested by the EFCC in June 2020 during a raid.

The antigraft agency subsequently arraigned the social media influencer on a one-count charge of possession of fraudulent documents with intent to defraud.

In February 2023, the agency amended the charges and re-arraigned her on a three-count charge of conspiracy to obtain money by false pretences, attempt to obtain money by false pretences and retention of proceeds of criminal conduct.

However, in a twisted turn of events, the anti-graft agency said the defendant was now a stakeholder in the anti-graft war and further engaged her to admonish corps members to shun cybercrime.

The EFCC in a post on social media platform, X, said Adewale (Adeherself), was a speaker during a sensitization programme organized by the commission at the NYSC orientation camp in Iyana Ipaja, Lagos.

The agency quoted her as saying, “There are boundless opportunities on the internet, which you can put to good use and harness for financial upgrades, rather than fraudulent activities and commission of crimes.

“As young adults, we sometimes overlook our wrongs and disregard the fact that the law of Karma will always prevail.

“Everywhere you go to as a Nigerian youth, you are stigmatized as a scammer or a criminal. Isn’t this a matter of grave concern? I believe you feel the same way as I feel right now.

“The same energy and smartness you put together to scam innocent organizations and persons can be put together to explore money-making opportunities online, such as partnering with companies, involving yourselves in entrepreneurship activities, learning internet trade, making YouTube videos and earning the same Dollars you struggle to scam people of.”

Reacting, Nigerians via the microblogging platform, X formerly known as Twitter called out the anti-graft agency for inviting someone who’s still enmeshed in an ongoing cybercrime trial to sensitize young corp members.

See reactions below;

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/a17bcf8572c68a3a9a686ee9a85f62d1.jpeghttps://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/150c46117180db2e0040bcc2be7a3757.jpeghttps://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/e37a818adc8338704bbf768db2c340c1.jpeg

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
The Social Network 2: Aaron Sorkin Writing Quasi-Sequel About Insurrection
Forum | 1 day ago

The Social Network 2: Aaron Sorkin Writing Quasi-Sequel About Insurrection

Police Confirms Killing Of Corps Member At Ogbomoso Nightclub, Detains Officers Involved
Forum | 1 day ago

Police Confirms Killing Of Corps Member At Ogbomoso Nightclub, Detains Officers Involved

Ghanaian Media Personality, Serwaa Amihere Reacts To Her Leaked S3x Tape
Forum | 1 day ago

Ghanaian Media Personality, Serwaa Amihere Reacts To Her Leaked S3x Tape

Tacha Lambasts Nigerians For Seeking Justice For Bullied Schoolgirl
Forum | 2 days ago

Tacha Lambasts Nigerians For Seeking Justice For Bullied Schoolgirl