Barcelona president offers exciting transfer update before window closure

Forum 7 months ago

Barcelona president offers exciting transfer update before window closure

Barcelona president Joan Laporta believes the club still have the financial capabilities to complete a number of transfers before the window comes to a close.

Well-known financial issues have hamstrung Barcelona's transfer business in recent seasons and the club have been focused on securing player sales to free up wages and create space for any potential bargains.

Ilkay Gundogan and Inigo Martinez have arrived on free transfers this summer, while Oriol Romeu completed a switch from Girona for a fee of around €4m.

Manchester City full-back Joao Cancelo is close to joining on loan in a deal which will include an option to make the move permanent, but Laporta does not believe Barcelona will have to stop there.

"I think we will have enough salary margin to carry out operations," Laporta said. "And there will be more than one."

Among Barcelona's targets for the end of the window is Atletico Madrid forward Joao Felix, who remains out in the cold at Wanda Metropolitano after publicly admitting his desire to join Barca this summer.

Atletico president Enrique Cerezo recently confirmed Felix does not want to remain at the club beyond this week's deadline but declined to reveal whether any negotiations over his future were underway.

Asked about a possible move for Felix, Laporta added: "It is an issue that must be asked to Deco, who is working to get a complete squad."

As for departures, Laporta offered his backing to winger Ansu Fati, who has struggled for minutes this season and seen himself linked with a number of teams across Europe.

"Ansu has us all in love," Laporta said of the 20-year-old. "I hope Xavi decides to put him on. Ansu is still with us and we are very happy that he is here."

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Transfer: Wolves table €12m bid for Osayi-Samuel
Forum | 22 hours ago

Transfer: Wolves table €12m bid for Osayi-Samuel

YSU notice on closure of registration for 2023/2024 session
Forum | 22 hours ago

YSU notice on closure of registration for 2023/2024 session

The Invisible Man 2 Update Given by Elisabeth Moss: ‘I Feel Very Good About It’
Forum | 2 days ago

The Invisible Man 2 Update Given by Elisabeth Moss: ‘I Feel Very Good About It’