NSA, CDS, Army chief visit Fubara, gov faults pipeline contract

Forum 8 months ago

NSA, CDS, Army chief visit Fubara, gov faults pipeline contract

Rivers State Governor, Siminalayi Fubara, has criticised the Federal Government for leaving the pipeline surveillance contract to a single company and individual.

The governor said such development might affect the fight against oil theft in the Niger Delta region.

Fubara stated this when a delegation, led by the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu, visited him in Government House, Port Harcourt, on Saturday.

The Group Chief Executive Officer, Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited, Mele Kyari, had justified the government’s decision to award the multibillion-naira pipeline surveillance contract to Tantita Security Services allegedly owned by former militant leader, Government Ekpemupolo, popularly known as Tompolo.

However, Fubara, responding to the remarks by the delegation, faulted the government’s decision, describing it as inappropriate. He said the job ought to have been awarded to more people from the different states and ethnic nationalities in the region to achieve the desired result.

He stated, “I agree that in solving the problems, we must get down to the local, but security of pipelines should not be given to one man. How can someone from Kalabari be controlling the pipeline in Onne LGA? How can somebody in Onne LGA control what is happening in Ogoni?

“It’s not possible now. We must look at bringing all the key people in the various communities to work.”

Fubara said the state had always been at the forefront in the fight against illegal oil refining, pointing out that his predecessor, Nyesom Wike, tackled the menace frontally.

Fubara, who noted that the new course being pursued by President Bola Tinubu’s administration would benefit all, urged Niger Delta leaders to close ranks and ensure that their two sons manning the petroleum ministries were successful in their assigned portfolios.

He stated, “Two of our sons, from Bayelsa and Akwa Ibom states, are heading the ministry of petroleum. We don’t want them to fail. We must give them the necessary support. You shouldn’t have bordered coming, because we are already working on it. You should have just called me to ask for the situation report.”

He however said the Niger Delta was not benefitting as it should, compared in view of its contribution to the national economy. He urged the delegation to engage the right people to get the right information.

Earlier, Ribadu promised that the Tinubu-led government was ready to do things right in order to get the nation working.

Ribadu said the crude oil and gas-rich region had remained important to the Federal Government, hence it was taking all the necessary steps to chart a new course for the region.

The NSA stated, “We are here on his own (Tinubu’s) instruction. We are here, like the Minister of Defence said, based on the commitment of Mr President. The belief of Mr President is that indeed this part of Nigeria matters a lot. Not just the resources, but of course the people of the Niger Delta need to live in peace.

“He has given us instructions. As you see, this is the entire federal might. Strategic individuals and offices are here assembled. This is a clear demonstration of a commitment and a belief that, like what the Minister of Defence said, enough is enough. It’s a new chapter.

“We believe it is time to do the right thing and we are going to do it.”

Other members of the delegation were the CDS, General Christopher Musa; and the Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Taoreed Lagbaja.

Others were the Minister of Defence, Muhammed Badaru; Minister of State for Defence, Bello Matawalle; Minister of State (Oil), Petroleum Resources, Heineken Lokpobiri; and Minister of State (Gas), Petroleum Resources, Ekperipe Ekpo.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Army Hands Over ‘Fake Soldiers’ To Police In Lagos
Forum | 6 days ago

Army Hands Over ‘Fake Soldiers’ To Police In Lagos

Shake-Up In EFCC As Olukoyede Appoints Chief Of Staff, 14 Directors
Forum | 6 days ago

Shake-Up In EFCC As Olukoyede Appoints Chief Of Staff, 14 Directors

I Won’t Govern On My Knees, They Want To Destroy Rivers – Fubara Declares
Forum | 6 days ago

I Won’t Govern On My Knees, They Want To Destroy Rivers – Fubara Declares