Mason Greenwood to leave Man Utd after internal investigation

Forum 8 months ago

Mason Greenwood to leave Man Utd after internal investigation

Manchester United have confirmed they have come to an agreement with Mason Greenwood that the 21-year-old will continue his career away from the club.

Greenwood was suspended by United in January 2022 after being charged with rape and assault but saw all charges against him dropped in February amid the withdrawal of key witnesses, new evidence coming to light and prosecutors conceding a realistic prospect of conviction.

After the police concluded their proceedings against Greenwood, United opened their own internal investigation and explored all options concerning the striker, including a potential loan deal with Atalanta that failed to materialise.

United have now ended their investigation and have come to an agreement with Greenwood to part ways.

"Manchester United has concluded its internal investigation into the allegations made against Mason Greenwood," a club statement read.

"Our process commenced in February 2023, following all charges against Mason being dropped. Throughout, we have taken into account the wishes, rights and perspective of the alleged victim along with the club’s standards and values, and sought to collate as much information and context as possible. This has required us to proceed with sensitivity and care to obtain evidence not in the public domain, including from those with direct knowledge of the case.

"Based on the evidence available to us, we have concluded that the material posted online did not provide a full picture and that Mason did not commit the offences in respect of which he was originally charged.

"That said, as Mason publicly acknowledges today, he has made mistakes which he is taking responsibility for. All those involved, including Mason, recognise the difficulties with him recommencing his career at Manchester United. It has therefore been mutually agreed that it would be most appropriate for him to do so away from Old Trafford, and we will now work with Mason to achieve that outcome."

Greenwood added: "Today's decision has been part of a collaborative process between Manchester United, my family and me. The best decision for us all is for me to continue my football career away from Old Trafford, where my presence will not be a distraction for the club. I thank the club for their support since I joined aged seven. There will always be a part of me which is United.

"I am enormously grateful to my family and all my loved ones for their support, and it is now for me to repay the trust those around me have shown. I intend to be a better footballer, but most importantly a good father, a better person, and to use my talents in a positive way on and off the pitch."

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Man Cuts Off Friends Because They Did Not Check On Him When He Had Surgery
Forum | 6 hours ago

Man Cuts Off Friends Because They Did Not Check On Him When He Had Surgery

EPL: Why I snubbed Man City for Arsenal – Declan Rice
Forum | 6 hours ago

EPL: Why I snubbed Man City for Arsenal – Declan Rice

EPL: Alan Pardew advises Man Utd on manager to appoint as Ten Hag’s replacement
Forum | 6 hours ago

EPL: Alan Pardew advises Man Utd on manager to appoint as Ten Hag’s replacement