Ben Foster announces shock retirement four games into Wrexham season

Forum 8 months ago

Ben Foster announces shock retirement four games into Wrexham season

Ben Foster has announced his retirement from professional football four games into Wrexham's League Two season.

The goalkeeper initially put his gloves away last summer when he departed Watford but was convinced to come out of retirement in March to help Wrexham seal their eventual return to League Two.

Foster began the new season as Wrexham's starter but, after conceding 13 goals in four games, has now admitted he no longer feels able to perform at a high-enough standard to continue playing.

"The honest truth is that my performances this season haven’t reached the level I demand of myself and I feel that now is the right time to retire," Foster said in a statement.

"At the forefront of my mind when making this decision, was not only what was best for me but also the Club, and making the decision now gives the Club every opportunity to assess their options before the window closes.

"Wrexham will always have a special place in my heart."

Manager Phil Parkinson added: "Ben has been the model professional while at Wrexham and has done everything we have asked of him. It takes a big person to make the decision he has and one who really understands this Football Club, with the timing of his decision.

"I am sure I speak for everyone, when thanking him for his contribution that went far beyond that one magnificent penalty save against Notts County to help us gain promotion last season. Wrexham AFC was a better place for having Ben Foster around the Club."

Foster leaves Wrexham having made 12 appearances across the National League and League Two, famously helping the Red Dragons back to the Football League last season.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Vanderpump Rules Season 12 Delayed by Bravo, Report Suggests
Forum | 1 day ago

Vanderpump Rules Season 12 Delayed by Bravo, Report Suggests

Tulsa King Season 2 Cast Adds Yellowstone’s Neal McDonough
Forum | 1 day ago

Tulsa King Season 2 Cast Adds Yellowstone’s Neal McDonough

Cross: Amazon Renews Aldis Hodge Series for Season 2, Season 1 Still Doesn’t Have Premiere Date
Forum | 2 days ago

Cross: Amazon Renews Aldis Hodge Series for Season 2, Season 1 Still Doesn’t Have Premiere Date

Fear Street: Prom Queen Video Announces Netflix Horror Movie Is Now Filming
Forum | 2 days ago

Fear Street: Prom Queen Video Announces Netflix Horror Movie Is Now Filming