2023 WWC: ‘Rest in peace, papa’ – Spain’s Olga Carmona reacts to father’s death

Forum 8 months ago

2023 WWC: ‘Rest in peace, papa’ – Spain’s Olga Carmona reacts to father’s death

Spain captain, Olga Carmona has paid tribute to her father Jose Verdasco hours after leading her country’s team to their maiden FIFA Women’s World Cup trophy on Sunday.

Carmona played all 90 minutes of La Roja’s FIFA Women’s World Cup final against England at the ANZ Stadium in Sydney.

The Real Madrid star scored the decisive goal in the 29th minute of the encounter to ensure Spain defeated England 1-0.

However, in the late hours of Sunday, the Spanish football federation (RFEF) released a statement on X (formerly Twitter) that read (translated from Spanish):

“The @RFEF deeply regrets to report the death of Olga Carmona’s father. The football player learned the sad news after the World Cup final. We send our most sincere hugs to Olga and her family in a moment of deep pain. We love you, Olga. You are the history of Spanish football.”

Around three hours later, Carmona took to social media to pay a tribute to her late father, writing (translated from Spanish): “And without knowing it, I had my Star before the game started. I know that you have given me the strength to achieve something unique. I know that you have been watching me tonight and that you are proud of me. Rest in peace, papa.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Rapper Sentenced to Death for Supporting Anti-Hijab Protest
Forum | 1 day ago

Rapper Sentenced to Death for Supporting Anti-Hijab Protest

Ghanaian Media Personality, Serwaa Amihere Reacts To Her Leaked S3x Tape
Forum | 1 day ago

Ghanaian Media Personality, Serwaa Amihere Reacts To Her Leaked S3x Tape

Pulse Cast: Happy Death Day Star & More Join Netflix’s First Medical Drama
Forum | 1 day ago

Pulse Cast: Happy Death Day Star & More Join Netflix’s First Medical Drama