Moises Caicedo reveals which pair of Chelsea legends he idolised growing up

Forum 8 months ago

Moises Caicedo reveals which pair of Chelsea legends he idolised growing up

Chelsea midfielder Moises Caicedo was a Blues fan even when growing up in Ecuador, thanks in no small part to his affection for two midfielders who would have a huge influence on his game.

Caicedo used to watch videos of Claude Makelele online, inspired by the Frenchman who spent five years at Stamford Bridge from 2003 until 2008 and played an integral role in the club’s back-to-back Premier League titles in 2005 and 2006.

Several years later, Caicedo asked a friend for an N’Golo Kante shirt for his 18th birthday and was presented with an Independiente del Valle jersey bearing the 2018 World Cup winner’s name.

Caicedo started out at Independiente del Valle in Ecuador’s Serie A and had made his first-team debut short before turning 18 in 2019. Less than 18 months later, he was at Brighton.

To say that his rise from unknown talent to the most expensive player in British football history has been rapid is an understatement.

"Makelele and Kante were an inspiration to me," Caicedo said in his first interview with Chelsea’s official website. "They were so humble on the pitch. I think I can say we share similar qualities, but they were better. Now I am going to give everything for this club because they did so much for me.

"When I was a kid, I supported Chelsea and used to watch the games," he added.

"Now it is amazing to be here. It is one of the biggest clubs in the world. I can’t wait to start with the guys, to give my best and to write my own story."

Chelsea celebrated Caicedo’s arrival by sharing an image of him wearing the club’s 2019/20 home shirt back home in Ecuador alongside his mother, touchingly recreating the picture in 2023.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Actress Tolulope Onamade Reveals How She Was Nearly Used for Rituals After Joining Friends for Hook-up
Forum | 2 days ago

Actress Tolulope Onamade Reveals How She Was Nearly Used for Rituals After Joining Friends for Hook-up

Davido Reveals Huge Amount He Made From His Sold Out Concert at Madison Square Concert
Forum | 2 days ago

Davido Reveals Huge Amount He Made From His Sold Out Concert at Madison Square Concert

Erigga Reveals How to Detect a Street Wife
Forum | 2 days ago

Erigga Reveals How to Detect a Street Wife

Furiosa: Anya Taylor-Joy Reveals Advice She Received From Fury Road Star
Forum | 3 days ago

Furiosa: Anya Taylor-Joy Reveals Advice She Received From Fury Road Star