Wolves receive immediate apology from PGMOL over Andre Onana penalty decision

Forum 8 months ago

Wolves receive immediate apology from PGMOL over Andre Onana penalty decision

Wolverhampton Wanderers head coach Gary O'Neil has revealed PGMOL contacted him following their 1-0 loss at Manchester United to apologise for not being awarded a last-minute penalty.

Red Devils debutant Andre Onana clattered into Wolves striker Sasa Kaladjzic when trying to claim a cross deep into second-half stoppage time.

Referee Simon Hooper was referred to the pitch-side monitor by the VAR, but surprisingly stood by his initial decision instead of awarding the visitors a penalty.

O'Neil - who was quickly drafted in last week to replace outgoing Wolves manager Julen Lopetegui - was booked for his protests on the touchline.

Speaking in his post-match press conference, he revealed that PGMOL's Jonathan Moss had already apologised to him as Wolves should have indeed been awarded a spot kick.

"I was told live that they didn't think it was a clear and obvious error but having just spoken to Jonathan Moss - and fair play to him for coming straight out - he apologised and said it was blatant penalty and should have been given," O'Neil told reporters.

"I sometimes feel bad because he's come out and been honest. I spent a lot of time with him today. I gave up most of my afternoon trying to understand the new guidelines and trying not to get myself booked in the first game with the new guidelines, which I failed in.

"Fair play to Jonathan for coming out and saying it was clear and obvious error, he can't believe the on-field referee didn't give it and he can't believe VAR didn't intervene."

Man Utd weren't at their best at Old Trafford and had to rely on a late goal from Raphael Varane in order to see off Wolves, who created several chances and carved their hosts open at will at times.

Erik ten Hag told BBC Sport that he thought Hooper's decision not to award a penalty was correct.

"After the opponent touched the ball he dived in so it was the judgement of the officials and lucky for us no penalty. I think you can debate it but I think no penalty," the Dutchman said.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Transfer: Wolves table €12m bid for Osayi-Samuel
Forum | 1 day ago

Transfer: Wolves table €12m bid for Osayi-Samuel

The Big Cigar Trailer: André Holland Leads Apple TV+ Miniseries
Forum | 3 days ago

The Big Cigar Trailer: André Holland Leads Apple TV+ Miniseries

Andrew Garfield, Miles Teller Reportedly Being Eyed for Martin Scorsese’s Jesus Movie
Forum | 1 week ago

Andrew Garfield, Miles Teller Reportedly Being Eyed for Martin Scorsese’s Jesus Movie

Slain Nigerian Policemen In Delta State Receive Posthumous Honours, N46million Donations
Forum | 1 week ago

Slain Nigerian Policemen In Delta State Receive Posthumous Honours, N46million Donations