Edo PDP sues for peace between Obaseki, deputy

Forum 8 months ago

Edo PDP sues for peace between Obaseki, deputy

The Edo State Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party, Tony Aziegbemi, says the party will wade in and resolve the crisis between Governor Godwin Obaseki and his deputy, Philip Shaibu.

There had been rumours that all was not well between the governor and his deputy, with the deputy heading to court to seek an order to stop alleged plans to impeach him.

However, Obaseki, while addressing journalists in Benin on Monday, dismissed the rumour that he was plotting to impeach Shaibu, describing the deputy’s suit to stop the alleged impeachment move against him as preemptive.

Obaseki said though he was not angry with Shaibu, he was disappointed because the deputy governor was nursing governorship ambition without carrying him along.

He alleged that Shaibu had finalised plans to defect from the Peoples Democratic Party to the All Progressives Congress to pursue his governorship ambition.

Obaseki said, “I believe that this action by him is a preemptive move to get a court order, keep his ticket and move to another party. I think it’s unfair to our party. We don’t need this sort of crisis. I have been getting calls all over the world and it’s rather sad that somebody who is part of an administration will do this to the administration because of his personal ambition.”

However, the Edo State PDP Chairman, Aziegbemi, who addressed journalists on Tuesday, said the party would broker peace between Obaseki and Shaibu.

Aziegbemi said, “The governor dealt with the issue effectively on Monday. However, leaders of the party are not sleeping on it. We are looking at various options to settle the rift. Such a rift is expected, especially when it comes to people’s political ambitions. We will put it under control and the rift will soon be a thing of the past.”

Aziegbemi said the PDP was ready for the local government election, noting that the campaign council would be inaugurated on Wednesday.

He allayed fears expressed by other parties that the election would be rigged in favour of the PDP.

He said, “We wish to state that we are ready for the local government election. We have done all we need to do as a party to ensure victory. Governor Obaseki has met with all the candidates of the PDP vying for chairmanships and councillorship posts.

“The PDP under the leadership of the state governor is leading the campaign and we are not going to fabricate or allocate results just as it is being insinuated.

“We are waxing stronger and we want Edo people to listen to our message of delivering the dividend of democracy in the state.”

When contacted on Tuesday, Shaibu’s Chief Press Secretary, Ebomhiana Musa, said all his principal wanted was peace.

Asked to respond to Obaseki’s allegation that Shaibu was planning to defect to the APC, Musa said, “I will not respond to the claims, whether it is true or not. All I need to say is that people should not fuel whatever is happening between the governor and the deputy governor. It is overheated on social media platforms and traditional media. I think people of good conscience, all they need to do is (find) how to make peace, not that this one said this and that one said that and then counter-allegations. I will not respond.

“Rather, I will plead that peace should reign in the Government House and in Edo State for the sake of the people. People should make peace for the sake of the Edo people and the state.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
PDP Accuses Aiyedatiwa Of Plan To Use N50bn Daycare Funds For Election
Forum | 3 days ago

PDP Accuses Aiyedatiwa Of Plan To Use N50bn Daycare Funds For Election

No Minimum Wage By End of May, No Peace – Labour Warns Nigerian Govt
Forum | 3 days ago

No Minimum Wage By End of May, No Peace – Labour Warns Nigerian Govt

Suspected Herdsmen Kill PDP Chieftain, Kidnap Two Others In Delta Community
Forum | 3 days ago

Suspected Herdsmen Kill PDP Chieftain, Kidnap Two Others In Delta Community