Reece James named new Chelsea captain

Forum 8 months ago

Reece James named new Chelsea captain

Chelsea have confirmed that Reece James will be the new club captain following the departure of Cesar Azpilicueta this summer.

Azpilicueta ended his 11 season association with Chelsea at the end of the 2022/23 campaign, joining Atletico Madrid as a free agent and vacating the Blues captain's armband.

While there was speculation that veteran leader Thiago Silva would takeover from Azpi, Chelsea have confirmed that academy graduate Reece James has been given the honour.

Speaking to the club's official website about being made captain, James expressed his delight at the appointment: "I'm so happy to take on the role and responsibility. I know I've got big shoes to fill because we have had huge captains here in the past, but I am excited.

"I have been at Chelsea pretty much my whole life. I started here when I was six and to come through the Academy is tough. But to go on and become captain, it's a great feeling for me and my family."

New manager Mauricio Pochettino shared his reasons behind giving James the captaincy.

"This is a decision taken by me and the club. We are very pleased Reece will captain the side this season," the boss explained.

"He leads by example and his attitude and dedication to Chelsea has been clear throughout pre-season. He proudly wore the armband during our summer tour and will take up the challenge of leading our squad with his own approach and ideas."

Along with James being made captain, the club have also announced that left-back Ben Chilwell will be his deputy as the new vice-captain.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
EPL: They’ll be too good – Chris Sutton predicts Chelsea vs Aston Villa
Forum | 5 hours ago

EPL: They’ll be too good – Chris Sutton predicts Chelsea vs Aston Villa

New Evil Dead Movie Gets Writer-Director, Sami Rami Issues Statement
Forum | 18 hours ago

New Evil Dead Movie Gets Writer-Director, Sami Rami Issues Statement

Avatar 3 Teaser Image Revealed by James Cameron
Forum | 1 day ago

Avatar 3 Teaser Image Revealed by James Cameron