Man Utd captaincy: It should’ve been Martinez – Ex-Liverpool player Murphy

Forum 8 months ago

Man Utd captaincy: It should’ve been Martinez – Ex-Liverpool player Murphy

Former Liverpool player Danny Murphy has told Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag that he should have appointed Lisandro Martinez and not Bruno Fernandes to be the new Red Devils captain.

Murphy believes Martinez is ‘a real leader’ compared to Fernandes.

DAILY POST recalls that Ten Hag recently appointed Fernandes to become the new captain of Man United after he stripped Harry Maguire of the club’s captaincy.

“I think he [Bruno Fernandes] ticks some boxes for captain material, but not enough for me,” Murphy told talkSPORT.

“I think he still can be a bad example when he is moaning at the world and throwing himself about everywhere. That is not leadership. I don’t think his defensive work is great; I think he is more reactive than proactive. But he is a wonderful player, with his energy and his durability.

“Who else at United are you going to give it to? The one obvious candidate is Martinez. [It] doesn’t matter [that he’s only been there a year]. He looks like a real leader. If I had the choice at the start of the season as Man United manager, I would have gone with Martinez.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
EPL: Micah Richards expresses sympathy for Liverpool star
Forum | 2 days ago

EPL: Micah Richards expresses sympathy for Liverpool star

UCL: It’s going to happen – Tuchel reveals Bayern Munich player that’ll score against Real Madrid
Forum | 2 days ago

UCL: It’s going to happen – Tuchel reveals Bayern Munich player that’ll score against Real Madrid

The Pickup: Eddie Murphy & Pete Davidson Movie Under Investigation After Accident
Forum | 3 days ago

The Pickup: Eddie Murphy & Pete Davidson Movie Under Investigation After Accident

EPL: Football expert names players likely to leave Liverpool with Klopp
Forum | 3 days ago

EPL: Football expert names players likely to leave Liverpool with Klopp