Kano needs N6bn for schools’ furniture – Commissioner

Forum 8 months ago

Kano needs N6bn for schools’ furniture – Commissioner

The Kano State Commissioner of Education, Alhaji Umar Doguwa, says the state needs N6bn to provide furniture for 9, 063 pupils in the state’s primary and secondary schools.

Doguwa said this while receiving officials of UNICEF Nigeria, Kano Field Office, led by Mr. Rahama Rihood Mohammad Farah, in his office, on Tuesday evening.

“We found out that the majority of the 5. 2 million children in our schools have no chairs and desks. In fact, during one of my inspection visits, I found a school, Dawanau Special Primary School in the Dawakin Tofa Local Government Area, with 5, 618 pupils, all seated on the floor! You can see how bad the situation is,” Doguwa said.

He said besides a lack of furniture, there were also problems of a shortage of teachers and a high population of out-of-school children.

“I was emotional when I visited some of the schools. I visited a school, populated with 500 children, but has only one staff member, who serves as the Head Teacher/teacher. This should not be the case in any progressive society,” he stated.

The commissioner called for support from partners to enable the state to solve the problems.

Earlier, the Chief of Field Office, UNICEF Nigeria, Rahama Farah, restated UNICEF’s commitment to working with the Kano State government to address the problem of out-of-school children.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
We’ve Traced N51.3bn Misappropriated by Ganduje – Kano Anti-graft Agency
Forum | 4 days ago

We’ve Traced N51.3bn Misappropriated by Ganduje – Kano Anti-graft Agency

Kano Poly postpones 1st/3rd semester examination
Forum | 6 days ago

Kano Poly postpones 1st/3rd semester examination

Drama As Ondo Sports Commissioner ‘Assaults’ NAN Journalist During APC Primary
Forum | 6 days ago

Drama As Ondo Sports Commissioner ‘Assaults’ NAN Journalist During APC Primary

Drama As Police Nab Eight For Attempting To Disrupt Inauguration Of Kano Commissioners
Forum | 1 week ago

Drama As Police Nab Eight For Attempting To Disrupt Inauguration Of Kano Commissioners