Jurgen Klopp laughs off Liverpool links to Kylian Mbappe

Forum 9 months ago

Jurgen Klopp laughs off Liverpool links to Kylian Mbappe

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has laughed off suggestions that the Reds could move for Paris Saint-Germain forward Kylian Mbappe this summer.

With Mbappe declining to trigger the extension in his PSG contract, which expires at the end of the coming season, the Ligue 1 champions are prepared to cash in on him this summer and Liverpool have been touted as potential suitors.

There is a long history of speculative links between Liverpool and Mbappe but, even with the latest attempts to fuel the fire, Klopp insisted he would be more surprised than anyone if there was any substance to the rumours.

"We laugh about it," Klopp told Sky Germany about the rumours. "I can say that I think he is a really good player. But the financial framework conditions don’t suit us at all.

"I would not like to destroy the story but as far as I know there is nothing to it. Maybe someone else from the club is preparing something and wants to surprise me!

"But this has not yet happened in the eight years I have been here. That would be the first time."

90min understands PSG have been seeking to drum up interest in Mbappe this summer with a view to cashing in on the 24-year-old, who club officials fear is already set on joining Real Madrid on a free transfer in 2024.

Among the teams to have been contacted are Chelsea who, while obviously more than happy to sign Mbappe, are well aware of just how unlikely such a move would be. The Frenchman's representatives have not yet given any indications that a switch to the Premier League is under consideration.

Just what will happen with Mbappe this summer remains to be seen, but whatever decision is taken, new PSG defender Milan Skriniar insists the Parisian squad will accept it.

"It's the club's decision, we have to respect it," he told Le Parisien. "We have a lot of fantastic players."

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
UCL: Real Madrid will beat PSG in final, I’ll smash Mbappe – Rudiger
Forum | 1 day ago

UCL: Real Madrid will beat PSG in final, I’ll smash Mbappe – Rudiger

EPL: Micah Richards expresses sympathy for Liverpool star
Forum | 1 day ago

EPL: Micah Richards expresses sympathy for Liverpool star

EPL: Football expert names players likely to leave Liverpool with Klopp
Forum | 2 days ago

EPL: Football expert names players likely to leave Liverpool with Klopp