FG orders Second Niger Bridge patrol as vandalism rises

Forum 8 months ago

FG orders Second Niger Bridge patrol as vandalism rises

The Federal Government has ordered security agencies to beef up surveillance patrols around the Second Niger Bridge and its surroundings to prevent further vandalism.

The Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Works and Housing, Mr Mahmuda Mamman, disclosed this on Monday in Asaba, Delta State, while inspecting the bridge.

The Federal Government had on July 12 raised the alarm that the N336bn bridge was already been vandalised barely one month after it was opened in May by former President Muhammadu Buhari.

Speaking during the inspection of the bridge on Monday, Mamman said, “We came here purposely to see the level of vandalism, and to also interface with the people and take the necessary measures to avoid recurrence.

“We have also interfaced with the contractor handling the project, Julius Berger, and I must say it is really unfortunate.

“We have, however, engaged and written to security agencies, asking them to intensify surveillance activities along the bridge so that this does not happen again.”

Mamman, while condemning the removal of some metal components from the bridge by vandals, stressed that the host communities must get involved as the protection of national assets could not be left to the security agencies alone.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Residents Flee As Soldiers Leave Niger Community After Deadly Ambush
Forum | 4 days ago

Residents Flee As Soldiers Leave Niger Community After Deadly Ambush

Stop Intimidating Me, Obey Court Orders - Yahaya Bello Tells EFCC
Forum | 6 days ago

Stop Intimidating Me, Obey Court Orders - Yahaya Bello Tells EFCC

Bridget Jones 4: Hugh Grant Teases Sequel’s ‘Very Moving’ Plot
Forum | 6 days ago

Bridget Jones 4: Hugh Grant Teases Sequel’s ‘Very Moving’ Plot