Court orders Okowa govt to account for over N200bn public funds

Forum 8 months ago

Court orders Okowa govt to account for over N200bn public funds

The Federal High Court sitting in Lagos has ordered the full disclosure of spending details of over N200bn public funds collected by the government of former Delta State governor Ifeanyi Okowa from the Universal Basic Education Commission fund and allocations from the Federation Accounts.”

Honourable Justice Daniel Osiagor, in his judgment, dated July, 17, ordered the Delta State Governor Sheriff Oborevwori to “disclose details of budgetary allocations and actual spending by the Okowa government between 2015 and 2019″

The judgment was delivered following a Freedom of Information suit number: FHC/L/CS/803/2019, brought by the Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project.

In his judgment, Justice Osiagor held that “SERAP has cognizable legal right to inquire and know the way and manner public institutions manage public funds. I must say, that every citizen has a duty to demand transparency and accountability in the governance of public institutions.”

In lieu of that, Justice Osiagor ordered the Delta State government to “disclose how the Okowa government spent over N7.28 billion received from UBEC between 2015 and 2017, and N213 billion received from the Federation Accounts Allocation Committee in 2018, at an average of N17.8 billion monthly.”

SERAP’s suit followed the case of seven-year-old Success Adegor, who was sent home because her parents could not pay the illegal school fee/levy of N900.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Court Strikes Out Suit Seeking to Remove Hannatu Musawa As Minister as She
Forum | 1 day ago

Court Strikes Out Suit Seeking to Remove Hannatu Musawa As Minister as She's a Serving NYSC Member

Stop Intimidating Me, Obey Court Orders - Yahaya Bello Tells EFCC
Forum | 4 days ago

Stop Intimidating Me, Obey Court Orders - Yahaya Bello Tells EFCC

Court Fixes May 17 To Rule On Detained Binance Executive
Forum | 4 days ago

Court Fixes May 17 To Rule On Detained Binance Executive's Request For Bail

Court Gives Update On EFCC’s Suit Against Embattled Yahaya Bello
Forum | 4 days ago

Court Gives Update On EFCC’s Suit Against Embattled Yahaya Bello