Xavi makes Barcelona transfer window demand

Forum 8 months ago

Xavi makes Barcelona transfer window demand

Barcelona manager Xavi Hernandez has called on the club to sign more players during the summer transfer window.

Barca have signed fours players this summer thus far, with three of said signings available to play for the club at the start of the 2023/24 season - Brazilian starlet Vitor Roque has also signed but will not arrive at Camp Nou until 2024.

The club signed Oriol Romeu, as a replacement for Sergio Busquets, for £5m from La Liga club Girona, while the other two acquisitions made were free agents Ilkay Gundogan and Inigo Martinez.

Speaking after Barca's impressive 3-0 win over Madrid in Dallas, Texas, on Saturday night, manager Xavi addressed the club's lack of spending this summer, and revealed that he has informed Barcelona president Joan Laporta of the need to strengthen the first-team squad:

"I think are lacking [a few players]. We have to strengthen ourselves a little more. The president and the sports management know it. To be competitive we have to strengthen ourselves.

"I believe a lot in this team, but I think we need something more. My pending task as a coach is to compete more there. We don't hide. It's one of the objectives of the season."

With Barcelona's squad lacking depth, Xavi has relied upon a number of young players during pre-season and one of which thoroughly impressed during their cameo appearance against Real Madrid on Saturday.

20-year-old Fermin Lopez Martin scored a stunning goal in the win, and Xavi was keen to praise the youngster in his post match press conference, saying: "He is a talented footballer...He can play on the right, on the left, as a free winger. I see a lot of personality in him. He is hungry and eager. When I see him train, I think I have to give him minutes If I give him minutes it's because he deserves it".

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Transfer: Wolves table €12m bid for Osayi-Samuel
Forum | 23 hours ago

Transfer: Wolves table €12m bid for Osayi-Samuel

Transfer: Iheanacho tipped to leave Leicester City this summer
Forum | 3 days ago

Transfer: Iheanacho tipped to leave Leicester City this summer

Aggrieved Aspirants Petition APC, Demand Cancellation Of Ondo Gov Primary Election
Forum | 3 days ago

Aggrieved Aspirants Petition APC, Demand Cancellation Of Ondo Gov Primary Election

Transfer: Barcelona to move for Chukwuemeka
Forum | 4 days ago

Transfer: Barcelona to move for Chukwuemeka