Xavi provides update on Ousmane Dembele's future amid PSG interest

Forum 8 months ago

Xavi provides update on Ousmane Dembele's future amid PSG interest

Xavi Hernandez has insisted the Ousmane Dembele is "happy" at Barcelona amid transfer links to Paris Saint-Germain.

90min reported earlier this week that the Ligue 1 champions had opened talks with Barcelona over a potential move for Dembele to the Parc des Princes. The France international is available for as little as €50m (£42.9m) before July 31 due to a release clause in his contract - a release which doubles after that date.

News of PSG's interest emerged due to Dembele's contract talks with Barca not progressing as the club had initially hoped. While talks are due to continue, sources have told 90min that Xavi Hernandez's side would be willing sell the player for the right price if he asks to leave.

Despite the rumours circling regarding his future, Dembele has been one of the stars of Barcelona's pre-season, scoring in both the defeat to Arsenal and the thoroughly impressive 3-0 win over El Clasico rivals Real Madrid on Saturday night in Dallas, Texas.

In his press conference after that win, manager Xavi was quizzed by the press about Dembele's future:

"We will see, in the transfer window you never know.

"I see Ousmane as happy at Barca. If there’s something [in the PSG links] he will tell us. For now he’s here and he’s happy."

As well as discussing potential outgoings, Xavi also stressed the need for Barcelona to strengthen their squad this summer too, saying: "I think are lacking [a few players]. We have to strengthen ourselves a little more. The president and the sports management know it. To be competitive we have to strengthen ourselves.

"I believe a lot in this team, but I think we need something more. My pending task as a coach is to compete more there. We don't hide. It's one of the objectives of the season."

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
LaLiga: Ancelotti opens up on future of Real Madrid’s wonderkid, Arda Guler
Forum | 5 hours ago

LaLiga: Ancelotti opens up on future of Real Madrid’s wonderkid, Arda Guler

The Invisible Man 2 Update Given by Elisabeth Moss: ‘I Feel Very Good About It’
Forum | 1 day ago

The Invisible Man 2 Update Given by Elisabeth Moss: ‘I Feel Very Good About It’

The Curse Season 2 Update Given by Nathan Fielder and Emma Stone
Forum | 2 days ago

The Curse Season 2 Update Given by Nathan Fielder and Emma Stone