APC crisis deepens as Lukman resigns, blames Tinubu

Forum 9 months ago

APC crisis deepens as Lukman resigns, blames Tinubu

The National Vice Chairman of the All Progressives Congress for North-West, Mallam Salihu Lukman, has officially resigned from his position in the APC National Working Committee.

Lukman submitted his resignation letter on Wednesday to the acting National Chairman of the party, Senator Abubakar Kyari.

Lukman’s resignation came one week after the resignation of Senator Abdullahi Adamu and Iyiola Omisore, as the APC National Chairman and National Secretary, respectively.

In the copy of the letter seen by our correspondent, Lukman wrote, “Your Excellency, I hereby kindly resign my position as National Vice Chairman, North-West of our great party, the All Progressives Congress. My resignation is with immediate effect, which becomes necessary given my conviction that the atmosphere in the party is completely at variance with the founding vision of forming a progressive party.

“Rather than remaining in the leadership of the party and become a source of distraction for leaders and especially for the young government of President Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, it is better to excuse myself and take time off from politics.”

The Kaduna politician, however, said he retained his membership of the party “in the hope that our leaders, especially President Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, will retract from acts that will be unjust and illegal, which is crucial to any claim of being democratic or progressive whether as politicians or as patriotic Nigerians.”

Lukman applauded former Kaduna State governor, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai, for nominating and standing by him throughout his tenure.

He promised to continue to support the party in every way that he could.

It was gathered that the news of Lukman’s resignation has jolted the ruling party.

A reliable source at the APC secretariat told our correspondent that a considerable number of the 21-member NWC, who read the letter after it was posted on the official platform, were taken aback.

“I have called him severally on the phone without success. Quite many people have been reaching out to him. Perhaps, he might reach out later,” the source said.

“We need to look at whether his stepping down is subject to acceptance of the NWC or he elected to go. If it is the latter, it is the end of the matter. Going by what is being expressed on the platform, he will be sorely missed,” the source added.

He also confirmed that a crucial meeting of the NWC had been summoned in the wake of Lukman’s resignation.

“As expected, we are having a crucial meeting of the NWC tomorrow (Thursday) by noon. Let’s see how it goes,” he said.

Recall that Lukman was in the news five days ago when he wrote the Progressive Governors’ Forum to express his displeasure over the alleged choice of former Kano Governor, Dr Abdullahi Ganduje, to replace Adamu as national chairman of the party.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Governor Mbah Trying to Create Crisis in Enugu – IPOB Warns
Forum | 4 days ago

Governor Mbah Trying to Create Crisis in Enugu – IPOB Warns

Former Imo Governor, Ihedioha Resigns From PDP
Forum | 4 days ago

Former Imo Governor, Ihedioha Resigns From PDP

Those Asking Me to Apologize Worse Than Jonathan, Buhari, Tinubu – Aisha Yesufu
Forum | 5 days ago

Those Asking Me to Apologize Worse Than Jonathan, Buhari, Tinubu – Aisha Yesufu