Bruno Fernandes reveals Harry Maguire's reaction to Man Utd captaincy decision

Forum 9 months ago

Bruno Fernandes reveals Harry Maguire's reaction to Man Utd captaincy decision

New Manchester United captain Bruno Fernandes has revealed former skipper Harry Maguire was 'really happy' for him, despite being stripped of the armband himself.

Having been captain since his £80m arrival in 2019, the already under fire Maguire was dropped from the starting XI by Erik ten Hag following a disastrous start to last season.

The England international never regained his regular starting place and was often overlooked in favour of Victor Lindelof towards the end of the campaign. With Raphael Varane and Lisandro Martinez set to continue as Ten Hag's preferred centre-back pairing, the chances of Maguire ever being able to permanently force his way back into the team appear slim.

"After discussions with the manager today he has informed me he is changing captain. He outlined his reasons to me and whilst I'm personally extremely disappointed, I will continue to give my all every time I wear the shirt," Maguire confirmed with a statement on social media earlier this month.

90min understands Ten Hag has informed Maguire it would be best for all parties if he completes a move away from Old Trafford this summer. The centre-back himself has been keen to stay, although it is thought his latest conversation with the manager may help change his mind.

There is interest from several clubs in Italy, where the likes of Fikayo Tomori and Chris Smalling have thrived since leaving the Premier League, as well as West Ham and Newcastle. Even Chelsea have made enquiries after losing Wesley Fofana to a long-term injury.

Fernandes, who wore the armband throughout most of last season when Maguire wasn't on the pitch, was later confirmed as the new captain as only the fourth non-British or Irish captain in the club’s 145-year history after Eric Cantona, Nemanja Vidic and Antonio Valencia.

Maguire might have been forgiven for taking it badly, but Fernandes insists that wasn't the case.

"He [Harry] gave me congratulations and he said he is really happy for me. I understand his position is not the best at the moment. It has to be difficult for him but he came and said congratulations to me and I am happy about that because we have always had a good relationship," the new permanent captain has explained.

Ten Hag had plenty of sound reasons for handing the armband to Fernandes.

"I chose Bruno because he is a great inspiration. He is the example, always wants to be a better football player, working very hard to give his maximum performance," the boss said.

"He is the mirror for many players and a good social connector. He is also very good in game understanding. So for a manager, it's very good to have that integrated on the pitch. They are some reasons. But he can't do it alone. We need more, we need more leaders to have the strong bond who can point the team, who give [for] the team and send them in the right direction."

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
EPL: Why Man Utd drew 1-1 with Burnley – Ten Hag
Forum | 2 hours ago

EPL: Why Man Utd drew 1-1 with Burnley – Ten Hag

EPL: Man Utd likely to play in Europa League next season – Ten Hag
Forum | 2 hours ago

EPL: Man Utd likely to play in Europa League next season – Ten Hag

EPL: Carragher reveals ‘only reason’ Salah clashed with Klopp against West Ham
Forum | 2 hours ago

EPL: Carragher reveals ‘only reason’ Salah clashed with Klopp against West Ham