Roberto De Zerbi pokes fun at Chelsea with fresh Moises Caicedo comments

Forum 9 months ago

Roberto De Zerbi pokes fun at Chelsea with fresh Moises Caicedo comments

Brighton manager Roberto De Zerbi has poked fun at Chelsea's lack of European football next season as he doubled down on his determination to keep hold of midfielder Moises Caicedo.

Chelsea have seen a £70m bid for the Ecuador international rejected, with Brighton holding out for at least £100m or the inclusion of centre-back Levi Colwill as part of a swap deal - something De Zerbi was happy to float publicly on Friday.

Further stressing his desire to keep hold of Caicedo, De Zerbi took the opportunity to remind Chelsea that their disastrous campaign last year has left them without European football next season, unlike the Seagulls.

"It's a clear situation at the moment. [Caicedo] stays with us until my owner changes his mind," De Zerbi told Ben Jacobs.

"I don't know what can happen in the future, but if Moises leaves we have to find the right player because it’s difficult to replace a player as good as Moises. We have to substitute him with a great player because this year we play in the Europa League unlike Chelsea."

De Zerbi was again asked about the potential of a reunion with Colwill, who Chelsea are adamant is not for sale.

"I don't speak with Colwill. We haven't spoken for a month," the Brighton manager claimed.

"With Moises I spoke with him once but not about the transfer market. I can say my opinion, but it's not my job. I'm happy to meet [Levi] but not discuss anything else."

Finally, De Zerbi suggested that Caicedo's desire to leave may not be as strong as reports have suggested.

"You have to speak with Tony [Bloom, Brighton owner] not with me [to see] if he wants to leave," the boss said. "He extended his contract in February and now we are in July, so after five months I don't know if he can change his idea."

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Rebel Wilson’s Book Censors Sacha Baron Cohen Comments in Some Countries
Forum | 2 days ago

Rebel Wilson’s Book Censors Sacha Baron Cohen Comments in Some Countries

FUNAI extends sales of PG form deadline, 2023/2024
Forum | 2 days ago

FUNAI extends sales of PG form deadline, 2023/2024

Inside Out 2 Cut a Shame Emotion Character: ‘It Was Not Fun to Watch’
Forum | 5 days ago

Inside Out 2 Cut a Shame Emotion Character: ‘It Was Not Fun to Watch’