Nasarawa Assembly holds fresh inauguration, retains Abdullahi as Speaker

Forum 9 months ago

Nasarawa Assembly holds fresh inauguration, retains Abdullahi as Speaker

The crisis rocking the Nasarawa State House of Assembly was resolved on Friday following the decision of a factional Speaker of the Assembly, Daniel Ogazi, to jettison his position for the other factional Speaker, Ibrahim Abdullahi, who is the immediate past Speaker of the Assembly

Consequently, the 24 members of the Assembly re-elected Abdullahi, a member of the All Progressives Congress who represents Umaisha/Ugya constituency, as the Speaker.

The members also elected Abel Bala of the Peoples Democratic Party, who represents Nasarawa Eggon West constituency as the Deputy Speaker.

The Acting Clerk of the House, Ibrahim Musa, explained during the inauguration of the members of the seventh Assembly in Lafia on Friday that the inauguration was in line with Governor Abdullahi Sule’s proclamation and in accordance with the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

In his acceptance speech, Abdullahi pledged to provide an all-inclusive leadership in the interest of peace and development of the state.

He stated, “I want to congratulate you all, the honourable members, on your inauguration and for electing me to serve as the Speaker of the seventh Assembly. I have presided over the affairs of this Assembly in the last eight years with all sense of fairness and the fear of God. I want to assure you that I will continue in that spirit. I will also continue to operate an open-door policy as I have done in the last eight years.”

He also assured the staff of the Assembly of his readiness to improve their welfare, while thanking the governor for renovating the Assembly and the roles he played in resolving the crisis.

Earlier, Mohammed Oyanki (PDP – Doma North) nominated Abdullahi for the speakership position, and it was seconded by Larry Bawa (APC – Akwanga North).

The clerk thereafter inaugurated the Speaker and Deputy Speaker while the other members of the House of Assembly were inaugurated by the Speaker.

Earlier, Ogazi at a news conference in Lafia on Friday explained that he decided to set aside his ambition in the interest of the state.

He stated, “I wish to appeal to the good conscience of all patriotic citizens of Nasarawa State, especially our most esteemed supporters, to see reasons with us on why Nasarawa State must make progress regardless of my ambition or any personal interest.

“Having entertained several calls, appeals from various quarters comprising critical stakeholders, both past and serving governors, senators, political party leaders within and outside the state on the need to put Nasarawa first, with all humility and deep sense of responsibility, I hereby set aside my speakership ambition with an assurance to henceforth unite and work for the collective good and interest of the state.”

Crisis had broken out on June 6, 2023 when two speakers emerged for the 24-member Assembly.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Abia Govt denies conducting fresh verification of workers, chides NLC, NUP
Forum | 19 hours ago

Abia Govt denies conducting fresh verification of workers, chides NLC, NUP

Six persons killed, eight others injured in fresh Kaduna attack
Forum | 1 week ago

Six persons killed, eight others injured in fresh Kaduna attack

N80.2bn Fraud: Kogi Assembly Defends Yahaya Bello, Asks EFCC to Obey Court Order
Forum | 2 weeks ago

N80.2bn Fraud: Kogi Assembly Defends Yahaya Bello, Asks EFCC to Obey Court Order

Nollywood Community Holds Candlelight Service for Junior Pope, Others
Forum | 3 weeks ago

Nollywood Community Holds Candlelight Service for Junior Pope, Others