Jurgen Klopp confirms decision on leaving Liverpool for Germany national team

Forum 9 months ago

Jurgen Klopp confirms decision on leaving Liverpool for Germany national team

Jurgen Klopp has ruled out ever leaving Liverpool for the Germany national team role, but insisted he wants to keep his 'options open' once his time at Anfield inevitably comes to an end.

Klopp is a perennial candidate to take control of the Germany setup but has repeatedly rebuffed the speculation and stressed his commitment to Liverpool by signing a new four-year contract in April 2022.

The current Germany manager, Hansi Flick, is under intense scrutiny after a string of underwhelming results and reports have suggested Klopp could again be targeted to lead the team into next summer's European Championships.

Once again, however, Klopp has dismissed the talk.

"The job of national coach is and would be a great honour — there’s no question about that," Klopp explained to The Athletic.

"The problem that stands in the way of the whole thing is my loyalty. I can’t just leave Liverpool now and say I’ll take over Germany for a short time. That doesn’t work and the request isn’t even there."

Klopp has never hidden his interest in taking over his national team, however, revealing earlier this year that he would consider the role if he had no other commitments.

"If I’m supposed to [manage Germany] at some point, then I have to be available and I’m not currently. I have a responsibility towards the club," he explained.

"Basically, it’s an interesting job. But I don’t know yet whether I’ll do something completely different after I leave Liverpool. I want to keep my options open."

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Police Confirms Killing Of Corps Member At Ogbomoso Nightclub, Detains Officers Involved
Forum | 1 day ago

Police Confirms Killing Of Corps Member At Ogbomoso Nightclub, Detains Officers Involved

Seyi Law Lays Curses On X User Who Accused Him Of Leaving A Club With A Pr*stitute
Forum | 2 days ago

Seyi Law Lays Curses On X User Who Accused Him Of Leaving A Club With A Pr*stitute

EPL: Why Liverpool lost 2-0 to Everton – Klopp
Forum | 2 days ago

EPL: Why Liverpool lost 2-0 to Everton – Klopp

EPL: Arsenal, Man City must have bad moments – Klopp on Liverpool’s title chances
Forum | 2 days ago

EPL: Arsenal, Man City must have bad moments – Klopp on Liverpool’s title chances