South African Man Bags Life Sentence For Killing His Pregnant Wife

Forum 9 months ago

South African Man Bags Life Sentence For Killing His Pregnant Wife

A 41-year-old South African man, Thapelo Edwin Mojaki, has been given a life sentence for the murder of his pregnant wife, Matshidiso Catherine Mojaki, 36.

He pleaded guilty to the offence and was handed the sentenced at the Taung Regional Court, North West on Tuesday, July 18, 2023.

His conviction emanates from an incident that occurred on 09 October 2022 at Kolong village near Taung, whereat Mojaki approached his wife who was on her way to catch a taxi to work, accompanied by their 16 and 18-years-old children.

He subsequently asked for money and when she said she didn’t have any, he took out sheep sheering scissors and stabbed her several times. She was declared dead on the scene. Mojaki was arrested the following day and the court denied him bail.

In aggravation of sentence, the state prosecutor, Tecia Khula urged the court not to deviate from the prescribed minimum sentence, as there were no compelling circumstances to deviate.

She further highlighted the trauma experienced by their children who experienced their pregnant mother being stabbed to death by their own father. In imposing sentence, Magistrate Buti Zulu agreed with the state, and remarked that the accused had a responsibility to protect his family and not be a perpetrator of crime towards them.

The Director of Public Prosecutions in the North West, Dr Rachel Makhari, together with the Provincial Commissioner, Lieutenant General Sello Kwena, lauded all role players for ensuring the perpetrator is brought to book.

They further called on a strong advocacy against gender based violence and femicide in communities.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Police Confirms Killing Of Corps Member At Ogbomoso Nightclub, Detains Officers Involved
Forum | 2 days ago

Police Confirms Killing Of Corps Member At Ogbomoso Nightclub, Detains Officers Involved

Young Man Shoots His Friend Dead For Taking A Bite Out Of His Girlfriend
Forum | 2 days ago

Young Man Shoots His Friend Dead For Taking A Bite Out Of His Girlfriend's Burger

The Invisible Man 2 Update Given by Elisabeth Moss: ‘I Feel Very Good About It’
Forum | 2 days ago

The Invisible Man 2 Update Given by Elisabeth Moss: ‘I Feel Very Good About It’

I’ve Been In Love With Girls For My Whole Life – Billie Eilish
Forum | 2 days ago

I’ve Been In Love With Girls For My Whole Life – Billie Eilish