Why I went back to school after losing 2018 governorship election — Adeleke

Forum 9 months ago

Why I went back to school after losing 2018 governorship election — Adeleke

Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, has urged Nigerians not to see age as a barrier to pursuing educational dreams, saying one of the conditions he was given before his 2022 governorship ambition would be supported, was for him to complete his education.

Adeleke spoke at the combined 9th undergraduate and 5th postgraduate convocation ceremonies of the Adeleke University, Ede, Osun State, on Sunday, where 75 postgraduate and 537 undergraduate students were conferred with various degrees.

The governor, who said that after losing the 2018 governorship election, he was subjected to the worst personality attacks and assaults, added that he had to leave the country to escape the attack and to complete his degree programme, after his elder brother, Dr. Deji Adeleke insisted he must complete his education, or forgo his 2022 governorship ambition.

He said, “Dr Tajudeen Adeleke encouraged me to move ahead. Before I went into exile, he called me to a meeting where we discussed. He told me that I should look at what I have been subjected to, by those saying I was not educated. He advised me that I should go to America for studies.

“He said the only thing I can do for Osun people if I am ready to be governor is that I must get educated, I must complete my education, and without completing it, I should forget my governorship ambition.

“At my age then, I successfully re-enrolled and completed my degree programme. I am proud of that achievement and I thank my family and friends for their total support. I came back to re-contest in 2022 as a brand-new graduate. The rest is now history. What is the lesson? Our age must never be a barrier to educational pursuit. What we need is commitment and passion to succeed.”

In his remarks, Dr Deji Adeleke, who is the founder of the university, said if Nigerians resolved to change the country for the better, it could be achieved.

Dr Adeleke, while lamenting the bad attitude of many Nigerians to nation-building, which according to him was hurting the country, noted that about 120 corps members that worked as INEC ad hoc staff during the 2022 Osun governorship election, suddenly disappeared on election day to frustrate the exercise, and did not show up at their different polling units until the leadership of the scheme threatened them.

Making further comment on the bad followership, Adeleke, said components in the turbine that had not been installed, imported for the 1250MW power plant he was building in Ajebandele, Ondo State, were looted by people.

He urged Nigerians who desire a good country to contribute their quota to nation-building and stop apportioning blame to those in positions of authority.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Prom Dates Trailer Previews Hulu’s High School Comedy
Forum | 2 days ago

Prom Dates Trailer Previews Hulu’s High School Comedy

Another Victim Of Abuja School Bullying Surfaces, Seeks Redress
Forum | 2 days ago

Another Victim Of Abuja School Bullying Surfaces, Seeks Redress

Another Video Of Bullying At Lead British International School Surfaces Online
Forum | 3 days ago

Another Video Of Bullying At Lead British International School Surfaces Online