Anambra community seeks IG intervention over police harassment

Forum 9 months ago

Anambra community seeks IG intervention over police harassment

Indigenes of Isuaniocha community in Awka North Local Government Area of Anambra State have raised the alarm over widespread insecurity, terror and human rights violations in their domain.

They also alleged that over 23 community members were being remanded in Awka prison, five detained in zone 13 cell and two elderly men detained in a private cell.

The community appealed to the acting Inspector-General of Police, Olukayode Egbetokun, to intervene and save them from serial killings.

The Executive Director, Rule of Law and Accountability Advocacy Centre, Okechukwu Nwanguma, and president-general of the community, Paul Okoye, told journalists that one Inspector Matthew Abu Michael of the Force Criminal Investigation Department, Abuja was acting the script of a former community leader, Anthony Onyeagolu.

The Force Public Relations Officer, Muyiwa Adejobi, did not answer his calls as of press time.

The inspector told our correspondent on Saturday that the community members were wasting their time.

He said, “They are wasting their time, the accusation are purely lies. In the matter I have three commissioners of police in charge of that case. All that happened in that matter are official. There is nothing to hide. I will not let it go. I have told the IG to give me permission.”

He called on Governor Charles Soludo to intervene before the crisis would lead to war.

Nwanguma said, “We also requested the governor to prevail on the then Inspector-General of Police and the Police Service Commission to restrain Inspector Matthew Abu Michael and to ensure unbiased and exhaustive investigation into the serious allegations against him.

“He should be directed to stop further interference and allow the trial of those involved in murder and attempted murder cases to continue unhindered so that justice can be served. He should be ordered to immediately withdraw from Isuaniocha community and allow peace to prevail.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Police Gives Update On Nigerian Singer Abducted By Gunmen In Delta State
Forum | 1 day ago

Police Gives Update On Nigerian Singer Abducted By Gunmen In Delta State

Anambra Workers Angry Over Soludo’s Absence at Rally
Forum | 3 days ago

Anambra Workers Angry Over Soludo’s Absence at Rally

Police Arrests Two For Impersonation, Theft, Unlawful Possession Of Arms In Niger
Forum | 5 days ago

Police Arrests Two For Impersonation, Theft, Unlawful Possession Of Arms In Niger

Kano Building Collapse: Police Arrest Property Owner
Forum | 6 days ago

Kano Building Collapse: Police Arrest Property Owner