Harry Maguire stripped of Manchester United captaincy

Forum 9 months ago

Harry Maguire stripped of Manchester United captaincy

Harry Maguire has confirmed he has been stripped of the Manchester United captaincy heading into the 2023/24 season.

The 30-year-old was first named as permanent United skipper in 2020 under former manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer within six months of his £80m move from Leicester.

Maguire fell out of United's regular starting XI in Erik ten Hag's first season and is facing an uncertain future at Old Trafford. Lisandro Martinez and Raphael Varane are the first choice duo at centre back, while Victor Lindelof and even Luke Shaw have been preferred.

A post from the England international on social media reads: "After discussions with the manager today he has informed me he is changing captain. He outlined his reasons to me and whilst I'm personally extremely disappointed, I will continue to give my all every time I wear the shirt.

"So I wanted to say a massive thank you to the Manchester United fans for all their brilliant support whilst I've been wearing the armband.

"Since the day I took on the role, three and half years ago, it's been a huge privilege to lead Manchester United and one of the proudest moments of my career to date. It's one of the greatest honours in club football. I've done everything I possibly could to help United be successful - on and off the field.

"I will always be grateful to Ole Gunnar Solskjaer for first giving me the responsibility and I wish whoever now takes it on every success and they will have my full support."

There are a number of contenders to replace Maguire but Bruno Fernandes is the most likely candidate to take the captain's armband, having led the Red Devils out at Wembley in the FA Cup final at Wembley in June.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Sam Raimi: Tobey Maguire Spider-Man 4 Would Focus on ‘Personal Growth’
Forum | 1 day ago

Sam Raimi: Tobey Maguire Spider-Man 4 Would Focus on ‘Personal Growth’

Chippa United target Black Stars goalie as potential replacement for Nwabali
Forum | 1 week ago

Chippa United target Black Stars goalie as potential replacement for Nwabali

Transfer: Tottenham Hotspur, Manchester United make Adarabioyo contact
Forum | 1 week ago

Transfer: Tottenham Hotspur, Manchester United make Adarabioyo contact