Joan Laporta reveals Barcelona's relationship with Lionel Messi after transfer snub

Forum 11 months ago

Joan Laporta reveals Barcelona's relationship with Lionel Messi after transfer snub

Barcelona president Joan Laporta has admitted he has not spoken to Lionel Messi since the Argentine opted to join Inter Miami this summer.

The Blaugrana spent months trying to prove to La Liga that they had the financial capability to re-sign Messi, who wanted to return to Camp Nou after departing Paris Saint-Germain, but a formal offer did not arrive before the Argentina international signed on with the Major League Soccer outfit.

Discussing the failed move in an interview with Mundo Deportivo, Laporta insisted Barcelona were in a position to get a deal done before Messi ultimately opted against it.

"There were possibilities," Laporta said. "The player wanted to, the father too, but the times are different.

"We didn't want what happened the other time [not having the money to extend Messi's contract in 2021] to happen to us and we told them that when we had met Fair Play we would let them know. Then a while passed, the entire contract was agreed but Jorge [Messi] wanted to come talk to me and told us that he had decided on Inter Miami because he had spent some very hard seasons in Paris, where he was under great pressure, that in Miami he would be calmer and he could think about the national team and, despite having wanted to come to Barça, he didn't want to spend another year like that.

"Man, we had the authorisation from La Liga to fit Leo's contract. It was something that was discussed with Jorge and everything was defined."

Laporta insisted that Barcelona retained a positive relationship with Messi even after the snub, although admitted he has not spoken to the 36-year-old since.

"[The relationship is] good, correct," Laporta said. "We haven't talked anymore.

"We wished him well in Miami and Barça is his home. It is a relationship that ended when he went to Paris. It was resulted without achieving what both parties wanted, and now it's correct."

Despite the failed move, Laporta refused to close the door on another pursuit of Messi in future.

"I see it more complicated, and it would be necessary to ask him," Laporta explained. "This time, he had the idea of coming and we wanted him to come - Xavi, the board and myself. It did not work out.

"Leo takes great care of himself. He has exceptional talent and could always perform because he is always decisive, as he was at the World Cup, but I'm not going to expose myself [by saying he will return]."

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Transfer: Nusa to replace Olise at Crystal Palace
Forum | 1 day ago

Transfer: Nusa to replace Olise at Crystal Palace

Transfer: Aston Villa submit offer for Fiorentina’s Kayode
Forum | 1 day ago

Transfer: Aston Villa submit offer for Fiorentina’s Kayode

Transfer: PSG interested in Super Falcons midfielder
Forum | 1 day ago

Transfer: PSG interested in Super Falcons midfielder